16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  insert barrel for a 16 ga combo gun?
longwalker
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a strange request for those of you who may shoot European combination guns... I have a Merkel 211/215e O/U 16ga. with an extra set of combo barrels, 16 over 7x57R. I use the combo for shooting whatever comes my way when I'm at our bush camp. I was recently offered an insert barrel made by Kreighoff, that slips in the 16 ga. barrel and fires .22 WMR. We often come across furbearing critters while hunting other game, and the insert barrel might be fun to try on beaver, coyote, etc. Has anyone used the Kreighoff inserts? This one is about a foot long, has a back end shaped like a 16ga. shell, and has wedge shaped shims to adjust the alignment. The barrel is free floated in front of the chamber portion. the whole apparatus just drops in like a shell and locks in place with a "square" key like a Robertson screwdriver bit. The extractor for the insert fits over the regular shotgun extractor/ejector. It will supposedly return to zero after being removed. How are these things for reliability, accuracy, convenience, etc? The vendor is asking C$300.
Your comments / experiences appreciated!

longwalker
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

I know you're looking from the number of "views" - c'mon somebody, comments?

rayb
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Saw similar things in Europe, seemed fairly common there, never used one myself.

I'd buy it just for the novelty and to see how it works. It's only money..... besides i like the .22 mag. If you can aford a Merkel, you can afford some "accessories".. Smile for it

rayb