16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Skeet Machines
TerryS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:01 am  Reply with quote

My club is looking to buy new skeet machines.

We have a pair of the old Winchesters and wish to replace them but are unsure of what machine to purchase.

It's a small club (read limited money) and our needs are modest since we only use the machines about 5 hours a week.

We would like proven models that are dependable and need little or no repair under our conditions.

What makes and models would you recommend? We have a Pat Trap for trap so we are aware of that machine's dependability and accuracy.

We have several members, including myself, who enjoy shooting our 16 gauges at the game.

Thanks for your reply!
TerryS
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

A pair of new machines will run around five grand.If the old ones need rebuiltI suggest/highly reccomend Tyler Trap 1-810-796-2625
Draht guy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I work a club in northern Colorado. We use Pro-matic throwers for our skeet, trap and sporting clays. The Pro-matics give us very few problems and are easy to maintain/fix. Our clays course throwers are exposed to the environment and have held up for many, many years. Our skeet machines are only a couple of years old but get a good amount of use. They are easy to adjust and can handle a what we dish out.

Where are you located in Colo.?

Kevin

TerryS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
I'm in Gunnison.

We bought a couple of used Winchester machines a couple of years ago and want to upgrade. I'm working on a grant proposal now for the purchase of the new machines so it will be early next summer before we have the money.

Skeet has proven to be a hit here. We draw more shooters than trap but that means we get only 5-7 shooters a day on each of the weekend days.

Small town and lots of other things to do in the summer keeps our attendance down. It's too cold here most of the winter so we only shoot from about April until mid-October or so.
TerryS
Draht guy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Terry,

The Gunnison area is beautiful country to be sure. I can understand Mother Nature pulling some shooters to other endeavors.

The Torrington, Wyo., gun club has the wobble attachment on their skeet machines, and the shooters have really taken to the added challenge. Maybe something to consider for non-registered shooting.

Kevin

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

I've heard the wobble option mentioned for skeet but have never seen it.

I've been shooting American style skeet for many a year, and always with a low gun and lately, always with a delayed release.

How does wobble work? I'm assuming it throws higher and lower angles than plain old "over the stake and through the hoop" regulation birds. Is there a varied delay too? It seems the degree of difficulty would obviously be higher than standard skeet.

I'd like to try it if anybody knows of a club open to the public in N.E. Ohio or Western Pa. that throws these birds.

Thanks.
TerryS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Guys,
Thanks a bunch for your ideas. I'll print out and keep them to use when we make a decision on the machines.

TerryS