16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Found some 16's and ammo
oceanduck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:38 am  Reply with quote

This is my first time posting here but I have been a long time reader. Still haven't purchased a 16 ga yet because I have been looking for one that will shoot non-toxic/steel shot.
I was recently working in Eastern North Carolina and found quite a few 16's and ammo at Mackey's Ferry Firearms. He had some Auto-5's, one Ithaca model 37, one model 12 that looks brand new and a few of the cheaper Stoegers and EAA's and a few SxS's. I wanted to purchase something but did not have room in my luggage for the flight home.
He also has a huge selection of other firearms and ammo, I was really impressed with his inventory. Just thought I would give everyone a heads up in case they are looking. Hopefully if I make it back I can pick up a new toy.
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Where is Mackey's Ferry Firearms? I'm at Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville (actually, I'm in Iraq right now, but in a few weeks--after 15 months gone--I'll be back at Bragg, Lord willing). Sounds like a neat place.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

The Citori's with invector chokes will handle steel and other non-tox.

Matt
oceanduck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Mackey's Ferry Firearms is on Hwy 64 just east of Plymouth NC. It is a large tan colored shhet metal looking building. It has a large sign out front and is right next to a shop that sells peanuts and gifts. They have a few thousand guns in there and quite a few older collectable models in the back room. Just about anything that you could want they seemed to have.

I just got back from Iraq in July after 17 months working as a contractor at COB Speicher. Stay safe over there. At least it is starting to cool down some this time of year and you are in the middle of their holy season so it should be a little quieter for a while.
oceanduck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant just west of Plymouth and the Weyerhauser Plant entrances.
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Speicher, huh? I've been just up the road at Summerall this whole time. Every once in a while I take a trip down to Speicher, however. That place is insane!

Not sure if you had any of it at Speicher, but we've got a hugh dove population up here at Summerall. No 16 ga. here; all I have is a pellet gun. I guess it doesn't matter though, because I wouldn't even THINK about eating any game from Iraq.
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Chaplain: Keep your head down and come home safe, please.
twopipe
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:36 am  Reply with quote

chaplainkramer wrote:
Where is Mackey's Ferry Firearms? I'm at Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville (actually, I'm in Iraq right now, but in a few weeks--after 15 months gone--I'll be back at Bragg, Lord willing). Sounds like a neat place.
Exclamation

Have a safe return.... and thank you!
oceanduck
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

Speicher was a nice quiet base when I first got there, but then the construction all started and the population seemed to triple over night. I got bumped off a helo flight on a milk run and was at Summerall for 3 days waiting to get out. Slept on the rocks and ate MRE's the whole time. I definately do not miss having to deal with things like that. I saw doves and pigeons flying all of the time there, not sure what type of doves they are. I do remember seeing some type of duck that looked like teal while flying over Baghdad and Balad. There were quite a few of them. At least you have a pellet gun, I didn't get to shoot for the whole time I was there, so I am just a little rusty now.
Stay safe over there.
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Summerall is now the best of both worlds--in fact, the best FOB I've ever seen in either Iraq or Afghanistan. We have our amenities, but it's not the metropolis like Speicher or Balad.

On the whole "not shooting" thing, chaplains aren't allowed to carry weapons in combat. So I've been pretty much un-armed this whole time. Of course, I have my little pellet gun for fun on the FOB.

So you can imagine how excited I am to get back to my other "pellet" gun--the one that shoots 1 oz. of "pellets" down a 28" 16ga. barrel!!! (: