16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Stevens 530a
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

thought you'd all like to take a peek at my Stevens 16 ga. SxS.

I bought it second hand, and she dates to somewhere 'round 1947ish.

Shoots great, birds fall. I believe her to be M/F, and her bbl's are 28".

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Nice! Single trigger; I don't believe I've ever seen a single trigger Stevens; is it non-selective? It looks like it's in great shape, especially considering its age. I have basically the same model, a 16 ga Stevens 5100 but marked Springfield, double trigger; dates from 1952. I shoot it pretty well (for me). I just returned from a pheasant hunting trip where I used my Sterlingworth 16 for the first time. Frankly I didn't shoot very well, so I hope it's not the gun Wink which I doubt.

I also have the same model Stevens in 20ga and .410, and I enjoy them all. Good shooting with yours!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Nice! Single trigger; I don't believe I've ever seen a single trigger Stevens; is it non-selective? It looks like it's in great shape, especially considering its age. I have basically the same model, a 16 ga Stevens 5100 but marked Springfield, double trigger; dates from 1952. I shoot it pretty well (for me). I just returned from a pheasant hunting trip where I used my Sterlingworth 16 for the first time. Frankly I didn't shoot very well, so I hope it's not the gun Wink which I doubt.

I also have the same model Stevens in 20ga and .410, and I enjoy them all. Good shooting with yours!

Fin

Thanks;
She is in fine shape.

i got her from old guns.net in a dusty, oil coated condition. She came in a fitted takedown/sheepskin lined case. The handguard had a small crack, so I repaired it, and I'm looking high and low for another.
the single trigger is non-selective and fires the right/modified first and the left/full last. The wood was muddy-colored, so I helped that a bit, but the case coloring is still brite and has not gone french grey yet.
This little gun points like it's part of me, but I tend to shoow under my intended targets with it. A seasoned SxS shooter I know says that that is common when you go from shooting single barrelled and O/U guns to the wide sight plane of a double gun.

Once I warm up on the skeets, I whack them hard, but it takes a few compared to my single tubed guns.

Thanks again, and I'll try to post a few close up pics for ya later Wink
steinauge
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:19 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 530a in 16 also.Yours is the first one I ever saw with a single trigger. Very Happy

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:49 am  Reply with quote

The single trigger on the 530 was an option at least as early as 1940. (I have a Stoeger catalog from them.) But you don't see many of them with the ST.
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:18 am  Reply with quote

thanks for all the comments guys! Embarassed

You all humble me with your knowledge. As I said, this is my favorite of all my shotties. it just has a "mystique" if you will...something about it albiet commercial yet elegant.
I often wonder what happened to A) the interest in such guns, and B) why the quality of production slacked, be it what ever gauge it was made in. The "commercial" or "blue collar" SxS's of today...the $400 to 600 gun...just lack the finesse of the stevens/fox/LC of yesteryear. Remember, the L.C.'s and Fox's of those days were the "blue collar" guns of the day.

I promise, I'll post some more pics, as share her great lines and curves.

Have a great holiday!

Chris~
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Here's some more pics.....

Enjoy my beauty of a 16!!! Cool

fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Awesome! There're two things here I really like: your gun, which is a beauty, and the fact that you love it so much! Shoot it well, my friend!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:38 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Awesome! There're two things here I really like: your gun, which is a beauty, and the fact that you love it so much! Shoot it well, my friend!

Fin

Thank you again....

I'm finding that I'm grousing and chasing rabbits with this gun, more than pheasants.
I was on a hunt in Pa at Warriors Mark Winshooting just two weeks ago. I started the day using this gun and some old [prolly 15-20yrs old] shells [winchester]that were #6's. I had GREAT luck on the chuckars and quail, but was only wounding the pheasants, and relying on a 12ga. armed buddy to finish off the birds in flight. Confused and not wanting to wound any more animals, I went back to the truck and got my 12 o/u to finish the day.

I'm wearing blue below.

***And no, before anyone makes a silly comment, we did'nt bag the dog too.... Embarassed Seems she found a good smell and deceided to hamm it up for the pic.***
I'm leaning toward the age of the ammo as a factor, but not the cause. No one wants to admit they under-shot a bird, or missed, but after 4 sucessful flushes, and 4 confirmed hits with the Stevens and not a bird falling, I tend to think it was the old ammo lacking punch. Question Question Question [at least I'm hoping]

I got out wednesday in Jersey, and was loaded with some Remington High brass #6's [new] and dropped two hens in the afternoon.

Today I hope to get out, on this 20* morning, and flush some grouse or a pheasant, but as it's super windy and cold today, they may hold tight.

best,

Chris~

16's
Stevens 530a single trigger.
Browning BPS special field.
Winchester 12.
rmeron
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:04 am  Reply with quote

That is a very nice Stevens.I have never had a 530 but I've owened a bunch of Steven 5100's and they were great shotguns.I am kinda looking for a Stevens SXS again in 16.
fowler
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

The stevens are good working guns and hold up well and are simple to fix. Had many a 311A through H. And even one of the so called Fox-B single trigger 16ga. The Fox B was a fancy 311. Same action. There are many out there and some will be marked as Ted Williams,J,C, Higgins, Revalation,Mont. Wards and the other house brands that they made for discount stores. A good piece of Americana! And our roots. As American as apple pie.