16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Discovery!
mackbrdhtr
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I have been really upset in not being able to find a good choke tube wrench for a 16, and made a wonderful discovery this morning.

A 1/2" piece of copper pipe (your normal plumbing stuff) will slip right through a 16 gauge choke tube, even the full one on my Citori. But one of the sleeve's that you can use to solder two pipes together with WILL NOT. I used a grinding wheel on my cordless drill and a small file to dress the sleeve down leaving four small lugs on one end of the sleeve that match the notches cut into the choke tubes, and then soldered it onto a 2" piece of the smaller pipe with the lugs down. Don't make the mistake that I made by getting too much solder on the joint (cleaning out the corners is not fun)!!! This will let you slip the 1 1/2" section of the smaller pipe into the choke allowing the lugs to mesh with the notches cut in the choke tubes giving you a really nice "spinner wrench" that will not slip or mar your tubes. Beats hell out of the multi-gauge wrench I have with antler's on it!

I haven't done it yet, but plan to drill through the top part of the sleeve and fabricate some sort of "T" handle with a long #10 or so machine bolt that will give me a little more torque.

Hope this will help someone.

Johnny M.
sothere
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

Why not just use a "T" or a "90" then you would have a handle?
Great Idea.The older Brownings came with a wrench similar to a Rem choke wrench as well.I have one of each and will struggle to find either Confused
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:39 pm  Reply with quote

Saw a guy use a nickel the other day. It worked. I kid you not.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:15 am  Reply with quote

My standard wrench for all my 12 through 20 ga tru-choke tubes is a quarter. I use a nickle on the 28 and a penny for the .410 tubes.

A browning 20 ga plus T handle wrench works well for a 16 Citori. You can also square off two sides of a steel nail and insert it into a drilled hole in a piece of copper pipe small enough to slip into the tightest choke tube you have. Another bigger nail trimmed off and stuck through the other end makes a neat T handle. Takes about 10 minutes to make and lasts forever.

I like to see folks do for themselves. It keeps the manufactures on their toes and helps keep the price for doohickeys reasonable. Very Happy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

The handle is THE most important part of the choke wrench.After slicing my hand and glove open when one of the sardine can openers slipped on a hot day I also went with a homemade device similiar to yours Wink