16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  South Dakota - first time w/16ga...
Mattson
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from my first time in South Dakota with a 16ga, sure did have a great time. There were 4 of us and we ended up with 54 birds. I was worried about how the 45 mph wind would effect shooting the 16ga, but the wind just made the birds hold tighter and I actually had closer (10-15 yard) shots off point, it does not get better than that. I even had my chance at a true pair off point and I totally blew it, oh the nightmares. It was great to see so many wild birds, one spot we hit (30x40 yards in size) held over 200 birds and mostly roosters, I couldn't load the gun fast enough. I hope others are experiencing similar situations. We were around Redfield last weekend. I can't wait to head back in 2 weeks for a long Thanksgiving weekend; I hope all the corn is down by then. At the hotel we stayed at there were guys from 15 states and even one gent from England. I was quite amazed that several guys were running pointers and not just a dog per person, but many were dragging trailers of dogs. I talked to a guy from VA that had 7 English pointers just for himself, made me feel real bad about running my GWP 5 days straight. Lou (4yr old GWP) was dragging butt on day 4, but talk about a dog that runs on pure adrenalin 100% of the time when he is hunting, as soon as we were back to the hotel he could not even jump up on the bed. But on day 5 in SD he chased down 3 cripples and had tons of heart thumping points, maybe next weekend I will be able to get him back out in MN for a day trip to Owatonna. We got back home from SD on Wed 11/7, when the wife saw Lou, man did I get an ear full, she gave the dog my spot in bed, but that is just more fuel for getting a new pup to help out Lou... right? I am impressed with the poodle pointers I have seen on this site, but they look like big dogs 75+lbs.

Last edited by Mattson on Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:42 am; edited 12 times in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time---did you spend the night in the literal dog house while Fido was in your bed Rolling Eyes Embarassed Twisted Evil
Mattson
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

yup, sure did. Fido was not acting too sore, but as soon as the wife saw him, he put on an act and started shaking and collapsed in front of her. What a ham. I am sure it was all an act, like a little child getting attention. He had a grin as she carried him off and set him on my side of the bed.

On a side note, when I got back on Wednesday, I finally received the case of B&P F2 #5 shells that I ordered back in August and I was charged $64 ($63.68 to be exact)… as I see the costs are now $74 per case, wow talk about a jump in costs. I was disappointed to see that the shells were low brass not like the picture at all. Oh well atleast I got them for $64.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a great hunt. I roll my own for 16ga but shoot 2.5" 12ga High Pheasant and have had great success with them. I believe that you will be happy with the B&Ps.

jrothWA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

related how it injured a paw one day and everyone got it attention.

Couple months later it did some "counter surfing" and got yelled at. It immediately started to limp, but failed when Grandmother exclaimed Wait, its the wrong paw!!!

They know how to milk a situation.

Still try and used the excess hunting pressure to get a second.