16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I'm all in
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:33 am  Reply with quote

I've already pushed the lightweight 12 into the back of the safe in favor of my 16s, now the 20 and 28 are getting parked for the rest of the winter, too.

We had nothing else lined up and shot on a game farm the other day, and I took my 20 gauge CG Magnus field model. It's a lovely gun, and it will get some spring/summer action playing around ... but I found myself silently asking, "Why am I carrying this?"

My brother and I both carried good, light, trim 20s with first-rate loads, we shot safely killed just fine. Our bird-to-shell ratio was more than respectable. On the first part of the hunt, the first four birds fell on four shots, then I needed a second on a long hen. We guided for a dogless hunter on the second trip afield, and let's just say the guy with the 12 needed our help, although we convinced him (it wasn't hard) that he killed 3 birds. He didn't take any unsafe shots, was tickled with his bag and loved the dogs, so what the heck? Maybe we scored some points with the goddess of the hunt.

But all in all, I am now convinced that the 16 just plain smacks 'em harder. Considering the difference in weight and handling is nearly zip (and may well be in favor of my 16s) and my 16s appeal to my eyes just dandy, why carry the 20 at all? I know I feel more confident when I throw one of my 16s to my shoulder.

Just two seasons of taking the 16s after pheasant, and I'm all in. I even find I prefer prefer taking a field model 16 gauge to shoot sporting clays. I'm becoming a full-fledged 16 gauge oddball. And I like it.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 am  Reply with quote

H'mmm sounds like a clear cut case of some type of virus or something perhaps Woodcock or Rev could diagnois you correctly ( Smiling ) Glad you have been shown the Yellow Brick Road to enlightenment.

Hang in there the 16 is only going to get better !

Regards Charles
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

Satisfied & Sagacious Superlative Sixteen Shooter Syndrome?? Wink
Just wait until you join the Worshipful Society of Sweet Elsie Love Slaves Rolling Eyes

JAE 16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

It's not hard to become a sweet elsie slave when they are so wonderful to handle and look at.
I have a 1939 light weight field grade and love nothing more than just shooting it and enjoying, the Rev is right!!!
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:22 am  Reply with quote

Sweet Elsie sounds lovely, but my eyes fell on a pretty fair looking AyA SxS the other day. If it's still there around tax-return time, who knows? Have got to stop buying guns and shells for this year, though. Am well stocked, to say the least, and it's been an experimental and eventful year. Have had a boatload of fun!