16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Heading to Kansas Saturday!
Rooster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Got the bags packed, shells loaded, and the little Geco sxs greased up. Heading out early Saturday for a week in western Kansas for pheasant and whatever quail we may find.

Our local contact reports a huge crop of spurred stubble runners in the area. Should make for some fine shooting and good times for all!

When we return it will only be a two day wait and our waterfowl season opens here in the Arkansas wetlands. It has been a long wait since last year. Exclamation

Rooster
8+8
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Don't for get to bring a mask, it's been very dry and dusty, conditions is tough on dogs

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Good luck Rooster--them two days of rest should have you ready to roll again Wink
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:07 am  Reply with quote

Where are you headed? I was there for opening weekend, west of Hays, etc. Could have shot a LOT of quail, but pheasant numbers weren't bad. 8+8 is right, gonna be hot, dry and DUSTY!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

We will be a little NW of Liberal. According to the local contact they have a LOT of ringnecks.

I have packed for all types of weather, but NOAA is showing warm and dry for most of the week. Probably be toting more water for the Chessie than 16ga. shells.

Rooster
Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

Rooster wrote:
We will be a little NW of Liberal. According to the local contact they have a LOT of ringnecks.

I have packed for all types of weather, but NOAA is showing warm and dry for most of the week. Probably be toting more water for the Chessie than 16ga. shells.

Rooster

My hunting buddies were in that general area last weekend. Unfortunately, I couldn't go because of back issues which are still plaguing me. They saw many birds but the hunting conditions were warm and dry and forecasted to continue for another week or so. Their dogs were having a really tough time scenting.

Good luck

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Still coughing dirt, and could have planted potatoes in my ears. Four guns, 3 days, 6,6,7 pheasants. This is why those of us who live here want not an earlier season, but a later one. Good luck to you, and enjoy.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Rooster
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

Got back from Kansas yesterday late and you guys were right; Hot, dry, and dusty.

Saw tons of birds, but the dogs couldn't sent much of anything. The pheasant were flushing very wild and seemed to start flying the second they heard a motor stop. Quail, on the other hand held well.

Still a great trip. Stayed with 6 good buddies and most of us limited out every day. The little 16 carried like a feather and spoke with athourity with those bluedot No. 6 loads out of her LM tubes. Sorry there are no pics. The digital camera had a fatal fall the day of departure.

Switch gears tomorrow am and head for the favourite duck hole. At least there is water there!

Rooster