16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Parker Hammer Pivot Screws-How do You get them out
Fluesy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:36 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning Gentlemen I find myself with a slight dilema, I am working on restoring a 16(-6) gauge Parker. Both Hammer Pivot Screws were/are chingered(southwest slang for buggered), I was able to remove the left side but am having much difficulty with the right side. The previous owner(s) had wallowed the heads and apparently stripped the threads on the ends of the screws, so here I is, stuck and seeking any information and ideas to remove the offending screw from the receiver. It is not a through hole so I can't tap it out from the other side and there is nothing to grasp to start it moving. My background is as a machinist, I was thinking I could drill the head deep enough to insert a small easy-out and perhaps be able to get it out enough to grasp and remove. What I am hoping is there is a trick to it and someone willing to share the information will pass it on. I posted on the Parker Owner website but they seem to be a little tight fisted with sharing some information. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. And yes I do own 16 Gauges, at this count I have 5. One of those lively new Remington 870's, a Parker Grade P, an Ithaca Flues, a Browning Citori and last but certainly not least a Winchester Model 12 takedown. Thanks in Advance for Your Prompt and Informative Responses.
Chet Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Fluesy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I thought it appropriate to post what was done and worked, someone might benefit from the information in the future. I setup the receiver in the drill press this morning and drilled the screw with a number 31 drill bit. This is the tap drill size for a 6-48 thread, this is the thread commonly used on high powered rifles to mount scope bases and the screws are unbelievably tough for their size. Once the hole was drilled I started tapping the hole to the 6-48 thread, the Hammer Pivot Screw started turning very easy and I was able to wiggle it out of the hole with the tap, Whewww, that was a relief!!! Lessons Learned the screws on older guns seem to be excedingly soft, the Ithaca Flues I rebuilt has screws this way, and Yes Parkers have soft screws, with older guns don't settle for a close fit with a screw driver you have to be about exact or the evidence of using the wrong screwdriver is immediately apparent. If you don't have the correct screwdriver get one or take the gun to someone who does. This post kind of surprised me, I had hoped for a response and received none. Gosh even the Parker Owners had suggestions, there is no such thing as a bad suggestion when a member is having difficulty, we may be able to share some hard earned experience and save a friend some grief.
Thanks
Chet