16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  just back from Kansas - fantastic
bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from the best hunt I have ever had in Kansas. I hunted with 2 friends and a guide service near Russell Kansas on Saturday and Sunday (weekend before Thanksgiving). I shot my Browning Grade 3 Citori 16 ga (26 inch tubes) with Briley LM and LF extended chokes (invector).

I shot 4 roosters and 8 quail Saturday and 3.5 roosters (finished off one of my friends doubles) and 7 quail Sunday.

We hunted up one grassed water course (100 yards) between milo and green wheat fields Sunday and 10 pheasants (3 roosters) flushed at the end of the waterway.

First time ever for me to hunt over POINTING labs. Most of the time there were 3 shooters, 3 guides and 5 dogs in the field. On Sunday we started at 8 am and finished by 10:30 (I was the only one to not limit out Sunday).

At one time Sunday morning I had a shorthair pointing with a Brittany backing and a lab backing them both in front of me (glad I the browning hit the rooster as three dog bites would have hurt Smile ).

I was REALLY pleased with the performance of the Browning 16 (I am a 16 gauge person - called Dr. 16 ga at my clubs), but this was the first time I had the chance to use the browning o/u on something other than clays. I shot 1 and 1 1/8 ounce 6's mostly - some 5's. GREAT performance.

The worst part of the trip - coming home Monday and working Tuesday.

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:00 pm  Reply with quote

Cograts on the good hunt and unforgetable memories.I need to go there. Here in East-Central Il we rarely see a pheasant.I have tried to establish nesting,breeding and living areas but with everyone farming to the road it leaves little cover.That and the coyotes are EVERYWHERE.Hopefully they will make a recovery.I am working with Pheasants Forever to establish a decent population in this county again Wink Wink Wink Then the A-5 16 will see the roosters fly again Laughing Laughing Laughing
Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time. I have a pointing lab and it is fun to see him point and hold birds. We were in North Dakota earlier this season so he got a real work-out. So many birds there! I used my new 16 ga. Rizzini I got a great deal on at Cabelas.

I've never hunted Kansas but the prospect of roosters and quail sounds fun. Here in Washington state we can get huns, chukar, quail and pheasant out of the same draw sometimes. Is the limit 4 birds in Kansas? And what was the guide service you used...would you reccommend them?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Its nice to hear the accolades for the Citori 16 ga. rolling in. However, your goodshooting has to be a direct result of your skeet shooting with the gun more than anything I'll wager. Its what I've been advocating all along. Choose a gun that will stand up to a lot of practice rounds of skeet or five stand. The shooting is fun, and you'll be a far better game shot for it. The Citori not only is a well balanced gun of a proper weight for 16 ga. but rugged, versitile, and dependable on the range and in the field. How can a guy go wrong.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen - thanks for the replies. The trip was GREAT - no doubt about it. I talked to the guide today and he indicated that I was welcome back (thankfully) and that it was blowing snow (brrr) and I-70 was closed west of Russell.

Yes, 16gaugeguy, I shoot a LOT of skeet. My excel spreadsheet indicates this year that I have expended almost 11,000 shells at skeet, 5 stand, crazy quail, sporting clays, and trap birds (MOSTLY SKEET Very Happy ). The club I shoot at the most frequently is 4 miles from my house and I generally shoot (at) a couple of hundred clays each weekend if I can. I do believe that shooting a lot improves your shooting in the field.

One of you was from east-central Illinois. I'm in west-Central Illinois (close to St. Louis) - makes it 500 miles to Russell Kansas for the roosters, but well worth the drive.

Other news - got lucky on gunbroker.com the other day. I had just sold some shotguns (not 16's Very Happy ) and there were 2 Citoris up for bid. I went for the 28 inch lightning and won (what is that about money burning a hole in ones pocket). Talked to the dealer in Utah about 5 pm cst today, gun was sent today. I had already ordered some Briley extended tubes for it.

Speaking of chokes, I went with LM and LF extended briley tubes in Kansas last week on the Citori and was very pleased with the performance. I typically shoot skeet/ic at skeet targets, ic at sproting clays and 5-stand and IM/full at trap. And yes, I have a new Remington 1100 in 16 ga that i shoot trap with - full choke and 1 oz loads work fine!

good luck

Dr. 16 Gauge
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great hunt. I don't know what the big deal is with pheasants. I've only been on one pheasant hunt. I hit everything I shot at using my model 11 16 with IC barrel. I used Rem Express 4's. Of course I was hunting with a bunch of guys from a box company I deal with and none of them could slap their ass with both hands with a shotgun. We were hunting over a couple of dandy Brittany's owned by the land owner. I thought they were much easier to hit than a duck or a dove, esp it you got them on the rise. There were four of us hunting and after I had killed 4 birds (and them none) I was afraid of being a hog. They all admitted that our best chance of taking home some birds was to let me keep shooting. I killed 14 of the 17 that we got that day. And yes, I was polite and let them shoot first. maybe I was just in the right place at the right time.

I'd sure like to do the pheasant/quail combo. When I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of TX, we had a ten day period around Christmas when winter dove, quail, and duck season were all open at the same time. We called it a grand slam to get a limit of all three on the same day. I only did it twice, but what great days. I had a great little Brittany pointer and the finest retriever in the world. She would point the quail and he would fetch them. He would also retrieve my doves and ducks without fail. I hunted this retriever for 15 years until he died of old age. I should write "the greatest dog that ever lived" story about him. He was a golden mix mutt mostly trained by my wife on tennis balls and frisbies. I was in a duck blind here in Ark several years ago and after the 10 or 11th blind retrieve in swift water, I was actually offered $5000 for this dog. I told the guy that while he was writing out the check he might as well fill out the divorce papers. That or my obituary, because if I came home without this dog, she would either divorce me or shoot me, I'm not sure which. maybe I'll write the story and post it from time to time in chapter form. It's a great dog story. later mod11rem