16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Texas Bobs, French Brittanies, and an English Boxlock
AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:38 am  Reply with quote

Went hunting with FlintSteel on his ranch near Slaton. It was at the high temperature limit of hunting with pointing dogs - highs of 82 and 85 on Monday and Tuesday. This picture of Beau the Creeping Rascal says it best:

and

Beau is a four year old French Brittany, weighs 32 pounds, lives in the house, retrieves to hand (force broke), has an excellent nose, excellent stamina and heat resistance. He is an energetic and ferocious "Dead" hunter. He is also an Alpha dog from the tip of his nose to the end of his stubby tail and challenges me twice a day.

We had a great time and yesterday afternoon was especially fun as the scenting conditions were much better. We managed to bag ten yesterday - most of them shot by FlintSteel.

Here is FlintSteel and his new turd-hound Josie:

FlintSteel is the one with the glasses.

She is an English Setter and has excellent range and energy and FlintSteel says she is a good kisser to boot.

Here is a picture of a BobWhite I took with my Gallyon 16 gauge yesterday:

The Gallyon weighs 5-11, has 28 inch barrels with 2-1/2" chambers, choked cylinder and 20/1000th. The stock is 14-3/8 x 1-1/2 x 2 x 3/8 cast-off. It has a black foam recoil pad. It is an extractor gun and I shoot it better than any other of my light 16s. It was made in 1929 in Cambridge, England. I even sent off and got a letter. It is as it left the factory except the stock has been cut and a pad added and of course it has 80 years of normal wear. It has double triggers. I got it from Charlie Pflueger at Hill Rod and Gun 3 years ago - Charlie is a straight-up guy.

I was shooting low pressure 7/8 ounce loade (#8s).

Here is a link to my photobucket site - you are welcome to browse around:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/AmarilloMike/

Best,

Mike

Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, hopefully we are sending some cool weather your way. It was 79 in Denver on Monday. Today we had a high of 32 with 2-3" of snow.

Hc

chorizo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

AmarilloMike: I thought my Dad, Uncles and I were the only one to call our dogs turd-hounds!

I hunted this morning with a low of 16 degrees and a high of 34 degrees at 12 noon. Thank God for no wind!

I also see that you never, ever spoil your bird dogs!

Great pictures.

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Good job HighCountry - it is already down to 30 and headed lower - please send more. My son and I are going to quail hunt Friday NorthEast of Clarendon and I am looking forward to it. Season has been open since late October and today was the first day we have had suitable weather for bird hunting. It is also my 28th wedding anniversary.

Chorizo I stole the "turd hound" phrase from my friend and hunting buddy JC Page - now deceased. He was the first one I heard use it. I had a Brittany that wouldn't eat shrimp but loved cat scat and cow patties. That is actually my friend Joe kissing the Setter. I wouldn't ever kiss a Setter - just French Brittanys

Best,

Mike

chorizo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

We use the phrase to talk about dogs who are only capable of making turds in the yard and it has morphed to talk about any dog.

I love your pic of Beau, it does tell it all.