16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Another new member
rmeron
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Joined about a month ago,got the shell bag already,a very nice bag I might add.I shoot and hunt with an old Wards Wester-Field mdl 30 (a Stevens mdl 520).I am having a ball on the trap field on Sunday mornings shooting as good and sometimes better than the shooters with the 2-3 thousand dollar shotguns,myWards was $85.00.I say this because they look down their noses at anything but a 12 gauge.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:38 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. I shoot ATA trap during the season here in MA and the Northeast. I find most small Sportsman's and shotgun club members don't care what you shoot, but more how you conduct yourself on the trap line. Its more a matter of being at ease next to a guy who handles his gun aptly and safely. Once you show them that you are familiar, confidant, and safe with your gun, things improve. We've all gone through it.

Skeet shooting and shooters are different and tend to be more quick to accept new guys. Thats because skeet shooters get to stand behind the guy on the shooting pad and not next to him. Its a more relaxed and informal atmosphere.

There are always the exceptions. And yes, they are a pain. Especially the Joe almost perfect types who never quite shoot a 25 or 100 straight and blame outside distractions as the cause. Plus, I doubt you'd be pleased to get your tail smoked by a guy with an 85 dollar gun if you are holding 5K worth of steel and wood. Its just human nature, even though it's funny as hell to see. Laughing

So don't take it personal. Its no big deal. Just go shoot and enjoy yourself and the friends you make. Ignore the jerks. Everyone else does. It just doesn't look obvious at first appearance. Most good gun club members are too polite to show it openly. And if your shooting gets truely good, you'll soon have a 5K 12 ga. whizzbang special in your hands too. Wink
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

I would rather squad with a man who regards safety/courtesy over one that waves a high dollar gun around with no regard to where/what the muzzle is/was now/had been pointing at :!:This will be my tenth year running the local trap/skeet club-YES I will be in for more -But DO NOT let the ones with more equipment,higher dollar guns,etc bother you.A TRUE sportsman will answer your questions,give advice and guide you thru the ropes.Hang tough and you will soon be one of "THE GUYS" no matter what gun you shoot or what it is worth.Any decent club will judge you not the value of your gun Wink Wink