16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  1hr hunt from Mpls w/my Crazy eyed dog
Mattson
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Sunday Nov 18th - 1st Day Trip to Owatonna, MN - 2 public land birds, 2 solid points, 2 solid shots, total of 1.5hrs of hunting and 2hrs of driving, as good as it gets and not to mention home in time to watch the Vikes beat the Raiders. If every day was like this, then times like these would not be so special (always bring a camera & tripod). Not sure what is gong on with with the dog's eyes, he sure looks crazy with one eye on the camera and the other eye on those priceless public land birds. Total of 8 points (6 hens, and 2 roosters) what a great day.
Have a good Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Last edited by Mattson on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:51 am  Reply with quote

nice photo,
What kind of vest is your dog wearing and is it for protection or visablity?
I ask because my s.d. hunt as cut short last weekend thanks to barbed wire
My wire hair ended up with 26 stiches
What vet do you use for you dog?
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am  Reply with quote

Mattson thats a real goodtime picture. I like that dog cause he looks like he could watch 2 birds that be 8 ft. apart. Laughing Nice shotgun also.
Mattson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Lou's vest is Cabela's Ripstop Chest protector, this is the first season I have used this brand, I have tried all kind of vests but if he wears them all day they start to do more damage than good (armpit are raw). I use it both for visibility and protection (visibility due to deer season, and protection from barbwire). Lou is a GWR, 57lbs, and the vests never quite fit like the picture shows, in between sizes kind of thing.

"Constructed of abrasion-resistant 600-denier ripstop material, it is reinforced with a layer of heavy-duty 900-denier material through the chest and belly area."

When it is colder out I run him with the 5mm neoprene, which you can cut to fit the dog's legs to reduce the wear on the backside of his legs. The neoprene protects from barbwire as well.

Before hunting season you can not see Lou’s nails (his feet are that hairy), after a week of SD, he has no hair on his feet and the skin around his nails are raw/bloody. Anyone found any good foot protection for the pooches?

Robp I hope your dog is ok.
Captain_Billy - As for the gun, thanks, I got lucky and found a real good deal this past summer (used 16ga FAIR model 400) and it has become my favorite and only hunting gun.
robp
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Mattson
Yeah I had to modify Rollie’s neoprene vest to prevent chaffing as well. After last weekend I need to get some type of skid plate set up to protect against barbed wire.
The other question I had for you is what veterinarian do you take your dog to. My vet seems to hate attached male dogs as well as hunting dogs. I had enough of her stupid comments.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats on a successful hunt!

Happy Thanksgivings to all!

Hc

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

You need a new vet. Blaine area pet clinic, right off Central at 117th, in Blaine, is run by old Doc Epping's kid, and he has been featured, with his dogs, on "Minnesota Bound" with Ron Shara. He runs English setters, and has some like-minded lackey's that run the place during hunting season!

Yes, they are always after you to cut your dog, but, they don't get nasty about it. They all love bird dogs, too.

The woman that runs the pet clinic in Askov, MN. is a sharp cookie, also, and loves hunting dogs. Cheap meds from her, better on price than in the twin cities.
Best,
Ted

MunsterMan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

i think the dog is really bright..

i've seen roosters come back to life after being down and out.. my son could tell a good story about the one in his vest.. after the shot..

good shooting.. and boy, i wish i was you, this time of year... nothing to shoot but deer this time of year

cheers
kevin
Mattson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.bloomingtonvet.com
I live in Richfield, and this place off Lyndale was close to home so that is were I take him, I have never had an issue. When Lou was 4mo old he chased a squirrel up a fallen tree (the tree was at 45 degree angle to the ground) then when he tried to turn around to come down the tree he fell about 20 feet to the ground and put a branch thru him (hit the rib cage and ran on the outside of the ribs and out) he had 2 puncture holes, each the size of a silver dollar, I took him into that vet and no problem (Lou was lucky the branch did not puncture the rib cage). Not often that you bring in a dog to the vet with a branch sticking out him and try to explain how he fell out of a tree. I have never been to another vet, I even board him there when needed. So far I have found that the cheapest part of owning a dog is the actual purchase price.
jig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

That gun looks like a 20GA Beretta SP 5 to me. Only other gun even close would be a rizzini but the inlay are wrong for that -so what is it?
Mattson
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

16ga - Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini (FAIR) model LX 400 - 28" barrels, 6.2 lbs, LOP 14-7/8" imported by NEA, bought it used.