16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Model 37 Custom Gun
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:27 am  Reply with quote

I've been on Ithaca's website and it seems they will make a gun that is nearly "custom" or as custom as a mass-produced gun can be.....I was thinking of having them make a 16 ga. "deluxe" model to hunt birds/shoot skeet with; would probably have it choked IC with great wood, etc. Has anyone had this done? If so, how long did it take and were you satisfied with the finished product? I got the idea it might cost around $800.......

Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm curious what you get with the custom gun. A friend of mine bought the classic model and it is pretty nice. A lot better wood than my field deluxe model.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I did not check into it closely enough yet but they will cut the stock to your dimensions and of course you get a choice of choke, or tubes, then barrel length, gauge, wood, finish, recoil pad , etc. I'd just like to know or get feedback on how "custom" the finished product really is, how much hassle is involved from start to finish, etc.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:08 am  Reply with quote

I actually backed into that proposition several years past. I bought one of the very first of the new model 37 guns, after the model 87 line. The gun was delivered with a cracked buttstock, of the normal, plainish wood they use. I returned the gun to the factory, and inquired about a warranty repair. A gentleman called me to let me know it was no problem, and the gun would be attended to shortly. At that point, I inquired about the chance of upgrading the wood, at my expense. I was told they had some wood from the Deerslayer model guns that was just killer, but, it was a Monte Carlo type stock, higher for using iron sights or a scope. Well, since the gun gets used for a lot of trap, I said lets do it. I was asked if there was anything further I wanted, to which I answered, sarcastically "how about some left handed cast, and 1/4 inch shorter length of pull for the Minnesota winters that keep me in a heavy coat", not thinking they would take me seriously. "No problem" the guy said, and promised to have the gun back in a few weeks. I gave up perhaps $50 for the better wood and custom dimensions, and sprang for a second 30" barrel to go with the factory 26 inch.

They delivered on everything. 1/4 inch left cast, 1/4 inch shorter length of pull, a superb piece of wood (Monte Carlo style) with a matching fore end. It is a shame this piece of wood ended up on a pump, its really that beautiful-tiger tail pattern, with highlights of fiddle that actually shimmer in sunlight. The bad news is the checkering that was applied-cut diamonds, yet, heinous looking, but, its just to hang on to the gun, right? More bad news-this is a 3" model, and that killer wood (buttstock AND the larger, prettier fore end) is a bit heavier (a lot heavier, actually) than the original pieces-everyone who handles the gun remarks how heavy it is. Wearing the 30" tube, they are right, its very near 7 1/2 lbs. No biggie on a trap gun. I've used it hunting exactly once, with its porkiness being the reason I likely won't attempt that again on a long hunt. I walk a lot when I'm hunting, and prefer a gun with a sling oftentimes, especially when my late Gordon was getting up there in age-I carried him out of the woods with my Darne slung over my shoulder way more than once. That was around the same time I got this gun, and since my English Setter is only 4, I may take the gun out on some shorter trips for pheasant later in the season.

I've no idea what said work would require for money-mine was a warranty issue, and the guy seemed genuinely interested in making me happy. I got the impression the nice wood was (at the time) not something they had a fortune in, and they were happy to see someone appreciate it.

I wouldn't change anything, and the gun is very nice now, but, not so nice that it bothers me when it picks up a scar, or the bluing goes away on the barrel where the fore end rubs it. Mine is a bit finicky about shells (the plastic Activ's are a no-no) but is a decent all round gun. At this time, its the only piece in the safe that I've run 25 straight with at my beer drinking league-er, I mean my trap league (way casual, this group.)

I own a bunch of pumps-a Winchester model 1912 20 gauge,(one of the first) a Remington model 17, a New Haven (Mossberg 500 copy) with a bulbous factory screwchoke device and a stock I painted black (a long story, but this was a free gun, and don't laugh-I think this gun is a hell of a good design, and a great performer) a newer model 500 with a ported barrel (yuk) and this Ithaca. The Ithaca is the smoothest and shortest stroke of the bunch, with the model 17 right there also. The Winchester has an odd sensation of the pump action getting stiffer toward the end of the back direction cycle of the pump (no, its not just mine, they all do that) but, its a great gun also. The Ithaca is more of a hassle to load when trap shooting, but, I'm not in a hurry at the range, and it doesn't bother me. The so called advantages of downward load and ejection, are mostly theoretical, in my opinion, and I'm lefthanded, at that. Good design is good design, and lots of conventional pumps work out just as well for me.

If Ithaca still offers something like this, I'd recommend it. Custom dimensions are what we are all after, and this is about the most economical way to pull that off.
Best,
Ted
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

Ted: Your story sounds like quite an odyssey---one that, fortunately, turned out very well. It's certainly a rarity these days to be able to think that someone, for a "reasonable" fee, would actually make an item specifically for you and really get a charge out of your enjoyment in it.

That's neat, and I may try it. Thanks for the details.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:47 am  Reply with quote

The "odyssey" was traveling to France to have the R10 Darne formerly owned by Steve Bodio restocked to fit me-in French walnut that is too nice for a V19-but thats a whole different story!

Good Luck if you pursue the custom Ithaca route, and do let us know how it goes.
Best,
Ted
sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I've been reading this site for about a month and couldn't stand not getting involved. I ordered my first sixteen gauge, a model 37 from Ithaca in January. It will have taken about 4 months to build the finished product and I've got 10 days to go. I've had several upgrades that I'm really looking forward to, classic wood, ground and polished inside moving parts for a smoother action, barrel back bored and a lengthened forcing cone for a better pattern. I shoot upland birds in Oregon and primarily wild chukar. I having been thinking the past couple of years that I needed a lighter gun to hike with and a faster gun to the shoulder. After looking at all my options the sixteen seemed like the obvious choice. I've shot a pump all my life and it sounds like the best is yet to come.
________
LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:50 am  Reply with quote

Sixteen: It sounds like this is going to be a really great gun for you---please let us know how it works out ! Also, I'd be interested in knowing how easy the Ithaca people are to work with and who you talked to to set it up. Can you give us a cost range, and one last question---how much will your gun weigh when finished? Thanks----

sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Chief-

The Ithaca people have been pretty easy to work with in the sales dept, 1-888-948-4222 is there general number. I have been dealing all along with Mike Grabowski (sp?) in sales and he is quite knowledgeable and the gun was ordered on the phone in combination with their Create-A-Gun web site. The whole thing has taken 5 months and should be ready in 1 more week. A basic gun starts at $675-, I think, and mine should be about a grand with all the extras I ordered. I talked with him about LOP, their standard is 14", and putting a 1/4" cast off to the stock. He felt most stock work really shouldn't be done without the buyer and a try gun fitting with their gunsmith, as it can have many factors, including gun mount and dominant eye. Since he's somewhere in New York and I'm in the center of Oregon I had to regretfully pass on the fitting and exact stock work, which I would have loved. I also ordered a 28" barrel, to help with swing follow through and the finished product should weigh in at about 6.25 lbs., but I can't give you an exact weight until I get it. I really have enjoyed reading this site, as this will be my first 16 after the world of 12 gauge, and I'm soaking up all your discussions like a sponge, especially the shell discussions for clays and hunting. I'm trying to stay with store bought ammo for now but may try reloading after a while.

Gary
________
[URL=http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Royal_(Australia)]Chrysler royal (australia) specifications[/URL]

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Sixteen Gunz: I'll bet you really are looking forward to receiving the finished product ! Did you order choke tubes in your gun, or a fixed choke?
It would seem that the 28" barrel should help smooth out your swing on skeet/gamebirds and make for a more positive follow-through.
Though I've always been a Model 12 guy, I once owned a Model 37 that I really liked. The 6.25 lb. weight should be light enough to carry without the gun being whippy. I'm anticipating the end of your quest for a custom Model 37; good luck and keep us "posted"....

sixteen gunz
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

WolfChief-
Yes I am getting anxious, 5 months is enough to build character, virtue and whatever else I was lacking from patience. I ordered a set of choke tubes and another set of waterfowl chokes, so I should have the versatile bird gun I wanted. Thanks for your interest, and I will keep you "posted."
Sixteen Gunz
________
Suzuki gsx1400 history

Last edited by sixteen gunz on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:33 am  Reply with quote

As I said before, I do not have a custom 37 but the one I have is a lot of fun. My daughter and I went out clay shooting last night and I shot the Ithica for the first time in months. It is a fast shooting sweet little gun. You are going to like it.