16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I think I died for a second
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

On my first bird of the day today, the two Lews were working a busy rooster who did not want to stay put. Finally, they got him bracketed. Intense points. The only thing moving on the 3-year-old tricolor and the b/w belton 12-year-old was the wind through their tails. I was struck frozen for a second, my heart missed a beat and my breath caught halfway up my chest.

The last human who could do that to me was a young lady of stunning figure, big deep brown eyes, long and voluminous black hair ... and a smile that frequently stopped me in my tracks and knocked every conscious thought clear out of me.

Oh, the rooster ... it flushed and died. As did some others. But for me, that moment ... man, it was something.

I celebrated the wonderful day by sipping a cup of coffee and cruising home listening to Bonnie Raitt sing to me. Now, it's hours later, and I'm still agog over a day brought to me by God, my brother/guide, one rooster and two well-loved dogs. (And tip of the cap to Miss Bonnie, of course).
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 pm  Reply with quote

MGF:
I know the feeling of the English frozen on scent, and it is always nice to get the bird. Glad the day went so well.

What became of the brunette?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

I've told many people that I never feel so ALIVE as at that moment.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

At that point there is no other thought going on other than what is right before you Wink
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
What became of the brunette?

A gorgeous, brilliant, funny and multi-lingual woman -- she wanted to live and work in the DC area and travel the world. She does. I'm pretty sure she's married now.

I wanted to stay in the Midwest, make newspapers and hunt birds. I did and I do. Not sure I made the right call (or that it was entirely mine to make), but days like today sure help a lot. Smile
chorizo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

I traveled and lived all over the world, worked in DC and the items I missed most were my dogs and those moments you described shooting over a point. I finally returned to it in Spain, reconnected with life and came home, retired and started the right life. While the world was fun and exciting something "solid" was missing and an inner ache developed.

When given another opportunity to "do the world" for a significant sum of money, I declined.

What I have now is better. But I was able to bring my gorgeous, brilliant, funny and multi-lingual wife with me.

None the less, I will tell you in my opinion, you made the right choice.

I am glad you had a wonderful day. It makes life a joy and worth living.

MGF
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Chorizo,
Congrats and much happiness to you, too.
And if your wife has any sisters near Chicago, I'm still available! Laughing
Mark