16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Hardware Store Guns Dissillusionment and Boredom
Roper
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Square Load
About 50 years ago one of the Russians, possibly Kruschev (sp?), said "Before we hang the last capitalist, he will sell us the rope."

Guys, I think we are currently selling China the rope.

Dennis[/quote]

If I recall it was Stalin, our "ally" in WWII.

Corporate greed will cripple our economy and eventually be their own downfall. After all, when the recession reaches full strength and we can't buy their sh*t, who's gonna buy it? They're killing the golden goose...

Back to hardware stores, I can't imagine Lowes selling guns and ammo here in the I-5 corridor. Too many liberals around here, they'd all be having hissy fits and be running from the store screaming....

I grew up in the Finger Lakes region in New York and remember going to a central school (K-12) and the hardware store on the weekends...those days are long gone I'm afraid...
ToddN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Put it this way...I'm only 32...and I can remember a time when it was like what my post described. I remember going to the hardware store on Saturday mornings with my dad. In the last 3 years this is what they have built in town: Lowes. Christmas Tree Shops. Olive Garden. Old Navy. A new supermarket. Best Buy. A couple strip malls. A rediculous rotary that I can't wait to see the elderly negotiate this winter. Ruby Tuesday. Gap. Khols. Target. Probably more. You know what that does to the hunting grid?
jig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

It's China's secret War they are waging. They are preying on American greed in many ways. But moreover, we are paying for cheapening all our labor and services by opening up the melting pot as we have. It was one thing when the West was a Frontier and when our founding Fathers codeified our philosphies. However great they were, nothing is perfect to cover the changes we as a nation have incurred since the philosphies were codeified. Therefore, it would follow, logically speaking, that the philosophies must change somewhat with the times. But what has really happened is the Lawyers have exploited the philosophies for political, economic and social interests to get votes and money. But I digress, True value is still in business today. In fact there is one in my town, but it no longer has guns.
They did though, right up until just a few years ago. China, my friends, is the most cunning of enemies we will ever face. They will bleed us to death slowly, then come in for the kill, or let someone else do it for them - just a question of time. Unless of course, the everyday folk of our nation wake up and demand change, police our borders, have a national language and on and on and on. All the great things we once were, we are losing because of the wanton destructive interpretation and exploitation of our founding fathers visions by lawyers, Academic pinheads and politicians. We are being destroyed not by having too much freedom, but by those that abuse the freedoms, forget the price our ancestors paid to get them and don't band together to resist. This will happen one day(resisting), however, along our path, or we will be destroyed. Really, it's inevitable. Kind of a modern day civil war if you will. Unfortunately, as long as we are warm, comfy and have what we want, nobody will turn a hand toward nipping this all in the bud. Nope, it will only come once we are pushed to the edge, then the people will rise up and take this country back - if that is, it isn't taken from us beforehand. The longer I live, the closer I see us progressing toward third world status. Many that arrive in the good ol US of A don't share our core values, heck many folk don't even know what their core values are anymore. Our children certainly don't unless their parents have taken to much intervention. I have seen many youngsters come up through the current system of academia completely and totally brainwashed. I'm a pretty old guy myself right now but had the opportunity back in the 90's to finish college and get my degree at the tender age of 38. I saw the "new Academia", what they ram down the kid's throats, that were taught otherwise, by their families and then what comes out the other end. I was even marginally affected by it, but was old enough to judge what was crap and what wasn't. The younger kids don't all have that yet. I will never forget the time I was standing in line for my big "why Bother" quarterly student aid grant. There I was, a third generation American who's forefathers and himself had all served and died to protect our freedoms and rights standing in line for this VERY small grant.
In front of me were many foreign students, some with translators I caught a glimpse of the checks they were getting and almost crapped my pants. What's wrong with this picture I thought. Here I am, from fairly meager soci-economic status, but totally American getting nothing while the government we all have served with unequivocal faith is giving all this cash to immigrants.*(^((&(*&^%$^$&^%@!!!! that's what I thought - it didn't make any sense. Whatever, this country is losing it bigtime and we are all just letting it happen - for now. I am guilty too because I don't know what to do. The machine is so big now, the media so strong (and other powers that be) that us commoners only say is when we get to vote. But it's what we have to vote for that is part of the problem - it's all like my history professor told me. Its the "Golden Rule" that is, he who has the gold rules. Pretty soon it will be China as we continue to lower the standard of living here in the US. The distance between the have's and have not's is growing by the day. By the way Merry Christmas everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ToddN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

In the Art of War by Sun Tzu he states a strategy much like the one China
is using now. To act as though they are our friends by doing buisiness with us but at the same time engulfing us. They have actually been doing it for thousands of years successfuly.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Here are some of my rants about the current situation:

Americans are guilty of wanting too much "stuff". As a result, they want to buy all kinds of stuff at the best prices they can so they can buy more stuff. Manufacturers, in order to make the stuff cheaper, move production to other nations like China where labor is cheaper and manufacturing regulations almost non-existent.

The American consumer loves that because the stuff is even cheaper and they can buy more of it. However, now the average American finds that those good ole union jobs have been "out sourced" to China, that the ole solid pension programs have been replaced by shell game 401k plans, and that in order to buy all that stuff he needs to borrow money to keep up that standard of living.

Now, all that "stuff" has taught the American youth that everything is at their fingertips and a lack of rites of passage for the American teen has taught that it all comes easy from mom and dad and without any responsibility (i.e. work). That teen has been taught that the only thing that counts is good grades for college, meanwhile all our good engineering, construction and building trades jobs go to undocumented workers who send their earnings out of the country. Just ask the average American teen to drive a 16 penny nail and you will see what I mean.

So that teen falls into cogs of the modern American educational industrial complex and goes to college to be enlightened into the artistic, humanistic, and philosophical idealism of aristocratic eurocentrism and learns along the way that the USA is an empire with dirty hands just like the Spanish, British, Japanese, German, and French Empires. Then that teen earns a degree that either has no place in the current economic system, or if there is a job available, the income of that job is miniscule in comparison to the cost of tuition needed to get that job. Most end up working at Starbucks or some other coffee house, wearing vintage clothing, living in some big city believing in nothing and living off credit. The few that make it from college to career arrive to find jobs with very low salaries far from their original earning expectations. A first year general practitioner at Kaiser Permanente in my area starts at $67,000 a year. That kid who took that job, after counting the lost income of the years not working and paying for a college tuition, would have made more money working as a Carpenter even after working 10 years as a doctor. And if that Carpenter invests his money soundly, I bet he would still be ahead of the doctor after 20 years.

Now, we return to all that "stuff" that got us into this mess in the first place. In order for us to buy all that great stuff at such great prices other things suffered along the way. Chinese workers are treated worse than dogs and Chinese manufactures only care about that profit margin (sound familiar?). As a result, they cut corners and use the cheapest manufacturing techniques around --dumping tons and tons of toxins and pollutants in the environment. China is poised to surpass the United States in pollution, and the worst is, the Chinese are just getting started.

Finally, the Chinese in conjunction with other global investors are funding this whole mess by extending credit to American household even when it does not make sense in order to fuel the American consumer economy. If the US was not the largest consumer economy in the world, the world would have pulled the plug on American credit along time ago. But the world needs a market and right now, we are it...for the time being. But just wait until the Chinese and the Indians develop their consumer classes and no longer need the US as a market.

The US will be a nation in debt to the rest of the world, without its manufacturing base, with a population accustomed to the finer things in life that have forgotten how grow their own food, live off the land, and live simply...

Now that is some rambling... --lol.
jig
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 pm  Reply with quote

Dange if youre not spot-on. Could have written that myself. I take that back - no I couldnt. But, I could have thought it. You are so right about the 16 year old an the nail analogy. I met my ex-wife who had two sons age 10 and 11. Those boys didn't lift a finger around the house - totally worthless. Every time I would try and get them to do something their Mother would trump me and let them off the hook - never seen anything like it. Don't know if it was guilt, or she just didn't have the understanding of what it means to be a man. But for whatever reason, she totally de-balled me in that mix. It's too bad that I came into their lives so late - too late. And that I'm out of them now. Under achiving is now an alternative lifestyle crammed into young heads by media such as the Simpsons and South Park.
Square Load
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am  Reply with quote

I sure am glad to find out I am not the only one who feels this way. I sometimes think this country is in the midst of a cultural civil war but at this time the shooting hasn't started Sad .

Dr.DD, You sure are good at hitting the nail on the head, pun untended Very Happy .

Back to guns.........MDC, It sounds like you know your hardware guns. I assumed that a Tru-Test gun would have been sold by True Value Hardware. Looks like I was wrong for assuming that. Do you have any idea who might have sold a Tru-Test gun like mine over 60 years ago Question

Dennis
M D Christian
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Square Load, I.m not really sure and we can't rule out True Value,, Which was started by Cotter hardware,,And It could be a carry overfrom Cotter.. The Tru test name was first used by Crescent and later by Stevens.. (Stevens, Savage bought Cresent about 1929) The Blue Book says the Stevens 94 was made from 1929 to 1946,, and I think True Value Hdws came in about 1960,,, The brand name Tru-test is owned by a company in Aukland, New Zealand,, It's al a little confusing..MDC
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hows this for a hardware store.
http://www.nexport.com/company.cfm?company=452745_JURVELIN_HARDWARE_HANK_GUNS_ACCESSORIES_GUNSMITHS_DEER_RIVER_MN..
True valu was started in the US in 1948. Started overseas in 1990. Tru-Test paint is still made in the US
ermadear55
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:00 pm  Reply with quote

We have been sending lawyers to our capitals for so long and we wonder why we have what we have. Best resistance would be to not vote for anymore lawyers. It would be a start Evil or Very Mad I man who can manage a good hardware store would be much more trustworthy handling our affairs.
rayb
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

ermadear55 wrote:
We have been sending lawyers to our capitals for so long and we wonder why we have what we have. Best resistance would be to not vote for anymore lawyers. It would be a start Evil or Very Mad I man who can manage a good hardware store would be much more trustworthy handling our affairs.

The decline of all worthwhile values in America can be blamed on Lawyers and Hollywood.

Shakespear had the right idea.

The reason that lawyers want their money up front before they do anything is because they know no one would pay after the fact for the sorry, half-assed, sloppy work they are going to produce and try to pawn off on you.

Lawyers are a plague on American society. Generally a bunch of ambulance chasing, lying, cheating, sneaky, underhanded, patronizing, arrogant, leaglized thieves. Hollywood isn't much better.

rayb

Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm  Reply with quote

Lawyers are a plague on American society. Generally a bunch of ambulance chasing, lying, cheating, sneaky, underhanded, patronizing, arrogant, leaglized thieves. Hollywood isn't much better.

rayb[/quote]

Gee Ray, why don't you say what you really think Exclamation Laughing Laughing

I definately agree with you.

Dennis
kremerd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Just reading your posts makes me want to use one of my 16's [probably sold in hardware stores], Ithaca 16, lefever 12, Sarasqueta 16, when I go to a preserve Dec. 29 with some friends for quail, phesant, my friends don't know the fun in these old guns. I only wish I knew the history of the original owners.