16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Right handed, left-eye dominant
3DocPop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Ash Goodwin wrote:
I hunt with my right handed cousin- Who does everything but shoot with his right hand. And he is death on the birds.

Guess he was born left handed but the teachers force broke him to be right handed.

My son is left handed, I feel bad for him....I'll never be able to buy him autos, just nice italian, spanish, english doubles. Poor guy.

I'm just the opposite of your cousin in my experience. Born left handed, or perhaps ambidexterious, my dad did the force breaking, my teachers left me alone - so I do everything that I learned at home right handed, and the one major thing I learned at school, writing, lefty.

I guess I am really messed up. Sort of lefty, sort of not, but right eye dominant. I do shoot (poorly, except when the Rev reminds me to glue my head in the right spot) right handed.

As for my son, I also try to get guns he can use, like Model 37's or BPS. He just has to wait till I'm done with them Laughing
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:06 am  Reply with quote

Just because a person is right handed doesn't guarantee that you're right eyed dominant as the same as a lefty being left eye dominant. Most people that have some form of eye dominance indicates that your brain will "point" to your specific dominant eye.
Mattson
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.easyhit.com/?page=1

I have been using this product to shoot clays and liked it so much i bought the shorter version for hunting. Basically it is an optic sight but with a tube infront of the optic and only your eye over the barrel can see the optic, your other eye can not. You can buy it at cabelas for $30.

this is an interesting concept from them as well (and might explain why I shoot my dad's A-5 so well)
http://www.easyhit.com/?page=18
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

It's been mentioned in this tread and other threads but sometime having an expert like Mike MacIntosh to discuss this issue. In the January/February 2008 Shooting Sportsman article, he went into great detail about the importance of focusing on your target and putting your bead as a soft focus. I believe all great shots have the ability to focus on the bird's beak or eye (or the leading edge of the clay target) when they take their shot. One of my hunting partners is under the belief that he needs to check his bead against the bird and does that several times before he takes his shot. Saying he is ssslllooowww on the bird is a total understatement. He is a decent clay target shooter but poor hunting shot because he doesn't (or want to) aknowledge that shooting birds is a totally different game than hitting clays. I know some good clay shooters that use that "thingy" at the end of the barrel but I really doubt it's effectiveness in training a person to be a good "game" shot.

just my $.02.....
Denny J
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

I have a dominant left eye and shoot right handed. I tried many things that just screwed up my shooting more than it was. Now I just close the left one right before I shoot and I seem to be doing pretty good for most shots. The ones I have trouble with just leave more birds for the next guy.

I have been thinking of adding mid beads to my shotguns as I have been trying them out in the stores and I think they help me line the gun up better.
payneod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:04 am  Reply with quote

As an Optometrist who has studied this topic for years , the eye dominance topic isn't as easy as one thinks. There were studies in the 1950's where they discovered that about 66% of right handed people were right eye, right hand dominant. These people were what considered to be left-brained. The remaining 33% were one form of crossed dominance. This meant left eye, right handed or right eye, left handed dominance. My experience tells me that we should never put someone into a specific category. We are all neurologically "wired" different and I think that there are different degrees to each category. I myself am right handed, right eye dominant. I also tape the left eyeglass lens for this helps me with the shots that cross from left to right (stops me from shooting behind). Please remember the presentation of the shot (left to right or right to left) will have a different affect that eye dominance will have on your shooting. Above all, try different techniques, as mentioned above, to find out what works best for you. Please wear safety glasses! I still see to many eye injuries.
Well, of to my next patient. 16ga. forever.