16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  The Featherweight Ithaca M-37 16pump
fowler
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

I,m a big fan of the true 16 frame M-37. Just picked up another 700,000 ser. range made 1958 28" full corncobb with checkered buttstock blk. plastic buttplate and ray-bar site plain barrel. She was 99% new and I got her down from $350 to $325. It seems high ,but not for a 1958 like new. The balance and workmanship is very good. And of course smooth in the action. Makes you think how long was it just sitting in the closet? near 50 years. A grand Ithaca which I like better than the new model with the screw in chokes. ANd yes I will hunt her! I,m 52 now and what am I saving it for? Life is short use them ,but don,t abuse them.
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:33 am  Reply with quote

'FeatherLight' if the receiver is steel, 'FeatherWeight' Model 37 have Al receivers. I have a 1939 'FeatherLight' 16 gauge and it is a joy to handle. -Dick
fowler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Thats a early one pre- roto-forged and with bead front site with take down pin in magcap. I have a 1951 with the plain bead site and pin in cap.Nice shotgun!
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

budrichard wrote:
'FeatherLight' if the receiver is steel, 'FeatherWeight' Model 37 have Al receivers. I have a 1939 'FeatherLight' 16 gauge and it is a joy to handle.

Hi there, new to the forum but have very much enjoyed reading it the last few weeks. I currently shoot a Rem Model 11 16ga handed down from my granddad. Talk about a great upland game gun...

Anyway, I am looking at an Ithaca M37 16ga, but as I asked above, is there a way to tell between the Featherweight and the Featherlight? This gun is a gorgeous gun, in good condition and asking $325 for it, but I could likely get them down.

Also, is there much variation in the $ depending on age? I have no idea how old this one is, other than it is in about 95% condition, a little wear on the slide and slight wearing in the bluing but no rust/pitting and the bores are slick. Since the Ithaca website is down due to the bankrupcy, is there another place to look up those serial #'s?

Thanks much and I have to say that this is a great gun forum.

Brad
fowler
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Yes go to the www.shotgunworld.com and go the the Ithaca lover page and ask. Many of them have the records and books on dates and ser.
rmeron
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Looking at Walt Snyder's book,all 37'with steel frames were Featherlights,and the Aluminium receivers were called Ultra featherlight.
Featherweght was never a term used by Ithaca.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

rmeron wrote:
Looking at Walt Snyder's book,all 37'with steel frames were Featherlights,and the Aluminium receivers were called Ultra featherlight.
Featherweght was never a term used by Ithaca.

Great, thanks guys. I ended up getting the gun. It's a 1952 Ultra Featherlight, great condition and really really light. I talked them down to $50 on top of trading in a new Charles Daly field hunter 20ga that my uncle got me for my birthday. I shot it once and hated it and put it right back in the box to use as a trade gun. I know he meant well, but that was a down right DAWG of a gun.

Really pleased with the Model 37. Handles and shoots like a champ. I am going to work on the wood a little, but other than that, it's a great gun.

Brad