16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Meeting with the boss...wish me luck
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:42 am  Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand something. You love your job, like your crew, and even like your three or four bosses, You obviously work for a newspaper that is doing well and you are proud of. Most people would love be able to work for a company and be able to make all of those statements. I guess I am wondering where you got cross-wise with the bosses/management/company/job? I just retired after 32.5 years with one federal agency and couldn't wait to get out because of the bosses/management changes for the worse over the last 3-5 years. Sounds like you are a very lucky person to have a job you love.
Equismith
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:09 am  Reply with quote

MGF,

There are several local news folks here where I work that report on us in print, radio, and television that support us. If your paper is increasing in sales, that should tell enough for your contribution to your company's success. Look at it like you're the axle in which the cogs turn to make it happen. Sounds like you have passion. Management seems to lose passion at times and become disconnected from the basic job principles that got them into the job in the first place. Your passion for your job shows through your posts.

I most sincerely wish you well in what ever happens.

Miss Libby
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:38 am  Reply with quote

Back To 16 Gauge wrote:
I guess I don't understand something. You love your job, like your crew, and even like your three or four bosses, You obviously work for a newspaper that is doing well and you are proud of. Most people would love be able to work for a company and be able to make all of those statements. I guess I am wondering where you got cross-wise with the bosses/management/company/job? I just retired after 32.5 years with one federal agency and couldn't wait to get out because of the bosses/management changes for the worse over the last 3-5 years. Sounds like you are a very lucky person to have a job you love.

Truly, I'll answer this either in a PM or a post after I learn my fate. I think it best I close my cake-hole now.
MGF
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Equismith wrote:
MGF,

There are several local news folks here where I work that report on us in print, radio, and television that support us.

Thanks. Some of us locals can be OK. I was trying to explain some lethal force doctrines to two young news guys just last night. I was successful in showing them that even a fat old man can close from 21 feet and stab someone in about 1.5 seconds. Naturally, my "knife" was a rolled up piece of paper.

One of my fondest memories of the national press was covering one of the '88 presidential candidates at a stathouse appearance in Springfield, IL. I was based at the statehouse and got on-site as early as the Secret Service would let us. Got myself a good spot on a riser. Later, some little dude from the national press corps tried nudging me out of my spot with, "I'm national!" I told him, "Congratulations, I'm 6' 1." I thought the little dude was going to cry.

I wish I had a fin for every time I was leaning up against a detective sergeant's unmarked squad and just waiting late at night when a young broadcaster would ask me for an interview. I thought about giving 'em one a few times, but I surpressed my sick sense of humor and always told 'em to just hold on a sec and the sergeant would be over to see us as soon as he had a minute. I did get a bunch of smiles and surpressed snorts from some officers and sergeants one night when I caught a good, old-school (but for once hatless) lieutenant on-scene one night and asked, "Lou, you didn't lose your lid, did you?" The LT just smiled and told me to perform an act upon myself that is not physically possible. Good times.

Our fire battalion chiefs in my first decent-sized town were great. They'd pretty much come over as soon as they had time. They'd open their notebook and I'd open mine and we'd just get her done. Hardly even an interview, they were so used to the drill.

The worst, for me, was the school boards ... all those people with doctorates mangling the language and confusing the crap out of the parents. ... Sometimes, I just wanted to slap 'em. A superintendent who had two of the three numbers necessary for a basic property tax bill once tried telling me he couldn't give me a rough tax rate. Should have seen his face when I asked him, "What, you flunked basic algebra?" Razz
Equismith
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:44 am  Reply with quote

MGF wrote:

Later, some little dude from the national press corps tried nudging me out of my spot with, "I'm national!" I told him, "Congratulations, I'm 6' 1." I thought the little dude was going to cry.

OMG...I 'bout spit coffe on the keyboard again! That's hilarious!!!!!

Miss Libby