16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Shooting 20ga but thinking about a 16ga for late season
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

As an introduction let me say I’m new to the site and not yet a 16ga owner but I hope to change that situation soon. I’ve enjoyed reading many of the comments in this chat room and I’ve even learned a thing or two. I, like many, am a hunter first and a “gun guy” second so I would never pretend to have the knowledge or experience of many of you on this site. But clearly 20 years of upland and waterfowl hunting has given me some good insight and experience with several guns in multiple hunting environments. Most of the guns I’ve owned over the years are a far cry from what this BB discusses – but I’m slowly working my way down the path to “better” guns. Over the last 5 years I’ve enjoyed shooting the O/U – my entrance to this type of gun was a 12ga Franchi Alcione SX and over the last 3 years have shot a SIG Aurora TR30 20ga for all my upland hunting – Ruffed Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasants, Sharp-tailed Grouse and Huns. In hindsight the Franchi was probably a typical mistake for first time buyers in the O/U gun who grew up shooting 12ga semi-auto guns – it was way too heavy. But the TR30 has been a great joy to carry and shoot. Now it seems time to take the next step and take on the process of purchasing a 16ga.

My question, and please humor me as I’m well read but have little experience with 16ga guns, is to gain more insight into the potential of the 16ga. I plan to continue to shoot my 20ga but what I’m hoping is the 16ga will add some extra distance for late season Pheasants, Huns and Sharp-tailed Grouse that don’t seem to let hunter/dog get any closer that 30-40 yards before flushing. Yes, I understand a 12ga would be perfect for these ranges and situations. But I love the 16ga and all it has to offer but does it help me with those late season upland birds – in other words does it really have an advantage over my 20ga? What are your thoughts, insights or experiences with using the 16ga in these situations? Does the old saying “feels like a 20ga but kills like a 12ga” have any merit?

And do I dare even mention I’m interested in buying a B Rizzini 16ga Artemis Classic? I don’t want to start another chain discussion debating the Rizzini. If we could keep the comments focused on the benefits or disadvantages of using a 16ga for late season upland birds it would be great.
Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the crew! I believe you'd probably be pretty satisfied with a 16 gauge for the conditions you outlined. A modified choke pattern or slightly tighter in a second barrel of a double would likely give good results. My opinion is that 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 16 seem to smack the birds a little harder than the same loads in a 20 and about equal to the same loads in a 12. So now I'll duck for cover and wait for a barrage of disagreeing opinions! Smile

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

I don't know what load you are using for late season upland out of your 20ga but I'm assuming it's 1 oz. or better? The advantage of a 16ga. is the larger bore diameter. Same payload with a larger bore is going to equate to a better pattern with a shorter shot string. I believe this equates to better effeciency at longer distances.

Of course a Benelli 12ga. ultralight carries this theory to a higher level, but where's the fun in that? Laughing

Matt
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a 20 gauge Sig TR20U (which, as you probably know, was made by B. Rizzini) for six or seven years. Liked it fine, just fell in love with a Caesar Guerini and used the TR20U in the deal. Liking the CG just dandy.

But having hunted with the Sig and the CG in 20, as well as a few 16s, I think you'll love the right 16. Pick one that handles and carries the way you like, take it out for a little skeet, then go hunting.

I've found the kills with the 16 more definitive and, yes, I do think there's a little extra reach. From my O/Us, I've run 1 oz to 1 1/4 oz loads with really good results on pheasant. I choke IC/M or IC/IM.

Re the debates about the Rizzini & Guerini guns ... there's very little debate among those of us who own 'em. Wink I'm having the best bird season I've ever had with a 16 gauge FAIR 600 Gold with 26" barrels that I never intended to buy, just couldn't put it down once I picked it up.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:33 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting either 1oz #5 Kent Impact or 3inch 1 1/8oz #6 Remington HD with M/M choke for late season. Early season I use the Kent #5 with IC/M.

The only time I shoot lead is Ruffed Grouse/Woodcock hunting. Otherwise we're public land hunters so I stick with steel for Pheasants - in MN we need steel to hunt WMA and WPA land and ND we mainly hunt PLOTS. This may change as the price is getting too high for the premium steel so I expect once I shoot my current boxes I'll go back to lead on the ND PLOTS land. My 20ga patterns well at 30 and 35 yards with both #5 and #6 loads but I was really not happy with the pattern of #4 loads.

But last week in ND it was obvious - being the only person in the group not shooting a 12ga - the 20ga didn't have what it takes to bring down late season birds at those ranges.

Shooting a 12ga just doesn't sound that exciting when upland hunting - I guess everyone on the site would agree with that statement.
budrichard
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Welcome!
Personally, I just pick something up, load and go hunting whether 20, 16 or 28 gauge for everything except waterfowl where most of the time its a 12 gauge Rem 332 with Hevi-Shot but for jump shooting its a 16 gauge Ithaca M37 or 16 Darne with Kent TM.
I'm not a fan of Magnum sized 12 gauge loads for roosters that we have here in Wisconsin, so its #6 shot out of the aforementioned gauges.
My personal belief is that the 16 gauge offers the opportunity to get a gun the same weight or slightly heavier than a 20 if both are on the same frame for a double as for the Model 21 and Fox doubles. If its a 16 gauge double and more than 6# 4oz its not for me except for Model 21 SKEET guns.
It also offers the oportunity to purchase more guns and endless debate among individuals.-Dick