16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Meeting with the boss...resolution
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:42 am  Reply with quote

For those of you who offered advice and encouragement during my recent upheaval at work, here's the skinny:

THE UPDATE:
-- The company did right by a very underpaid employee in my department.
-- I get another week paid vacation, effective immediately.
-- A department that wasn't getting its work done is getting more help next year, which will mean less strain on my crew.
-- I and a manager who has been non-communicative to the point of near-hostility will have a sit-down with our direct supervisor, a very sensible and decent man.
-- I got a letter of reprimand for being non-managerial in the middle of the office, but if I behave for a year ... it's pulled.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
-- Be darn grateful I do something I love for a living, especially when it's near family.
-- Be grateful for the people in my life.
-- Start adding more people and experiences to my life, not more stuff.
-- Rely less on my own confidence, brainpower and "toughness" -- let more light and joy into my heart, and let it show in my behavior.
-- Close my yap when I'm mad; go for a walk and say a prayer.
-- Asking someone to lend an ear -- and then really listening to his or her response -- is very, very good. It beats the heck out of stuffing everything inside and then going "all in" in a moment of emotional overload.
-- Humility...I need more of it.

Will I ever be done with these classes in basic adulthood? I doubt it, but I'll keep showing up for class.

THANK YOU, guys, for everything from turning me on to 16s to your kind words.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Good to see a positive out come for you - keep working at and keep the focus.
16ga.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:00 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

19dec07

I've been watching this thread with great interest. It doesn't sound like a happy ending but rather a happy new start. Congratulations on your new opportunity. --Doug

Semper Limitae
m856021
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

A happy crew is a productive crew
a mad crew is just a mad crew

hope things are going in the right direction now
Roper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

It's good to hear things turned around for you. We all can get caught up in ourselves from time to time. A little service goes a long way to help change that...a lot of service goes farther yet.

It's all something you can change...
southpaw02
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

MGF

I have been following your thread but I stayed away from the comments. it reminded me of a similar work situation a couple of years ago.

I am glad things worked out for you. I hope the other meeting goes well also.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

SP
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

"God bless us everyone."

Tim Cratchit
December, 1843
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Good for you, MGF - sounds like a successful meeting. Also, sounds like your perspective on life is also improved. A bad situation at work can sure make one's life miserable.

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

MGF, I'm glad to hear things are working out. We've all been through these types of things in one way or another. Some honest, heartfelt communication usually is that tough first step. What a wonderful holiday gift you've received by lightening this load you've been bearing! Anyone with a shred of empathy can relate. Your victory is our victory.
lovemylabs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
MGF, I'm glad to hear things are working out. We've all been through these types of things in one way or another. Some honest, heartfelt communication usually is that tough first step. What a wonderful holiday gift you've received by lightening this load you've been bearing! Anyone with a shred of empathy can relate. Your victory is our victory.

Amen to that! MGF I too watched and prayed things would turn out well for you, and I'm sure happy to see they did. Merry Christmas and happy new year buddy.
Back To 16 Gauge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

Its great everything worked out and you can stay in a job you love. Have a great holiday season.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:31 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all so much. The last two shifts at work have been great. The same crappy stuff happens, but now I try to deal with it as efficiently as possibly and keep my young crew focused on what we can do for the product and the readers. We can't solve everything from our desks on second shift, but we can (and we do) improve the product and add value.

Re keeping the focus: You bet. I won't bore you with the details, but I'm going to spend more time on my spiritual and emotional maintenance. And, yes, Roper ... "and for that I am responsible." So if it starts with making the coffee, saying hello, putting away the chairs and swinging a mop, then that's there where it starts. How lucky a man am I? Very.

Again, my heartfelt thanks. The 16 is a special gauge, and its gunners are good men. God bless.
trust me
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 am  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

Classes in basic adulthood never end, I'm afraid. Sounds like you have a clear and objective view of the situation, and that always starts with a good look inside, first of all.

A week off at the holidays and in bird season, whether a gift or a reprimand, is never a bad thing. When you get that last Christmas present bought and wrapped, be sure to stomp some weeds and get some mud on your boots. You'll be better for it.

MGF
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:54 am  Reply with quote

trust me wrote:
Classes in basic adulthood never end, I'm afraid. Sounds like you have a clear and objective view of the situation, and that always starts with a good look inside, first of all.

A week off at the holidays and in bird season, whether a gift or a reprimand, is never a bad thing. When you get that last Christmas present bought and wrapped, be sure to stomp some weeds and get some mud on your boots. You'll be better for it.

Thanks ... and most absolutely. Stomped some snow and shot a few birds yesterday, but now it's another eight days before we head out again. The extra week is fully paid ... can use the 5 days whatever I want. There were plusses and minuses, but maybe the best part was just to remind me to take care of myself and keep my pie hole closed more often. Wink