16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Model 58 16 ga
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

I was poking around a local consignment gun store today and found a Remington Model 58 in 16 gauge. It is in great condition and totally original. It is fitted with a 26 in barrel, choked imp cyl, and marked 16 ga, 23/4. The barrel has no rib. The receiver has engraved quail and pointers on it. Stock and foreend are nice, with plain wood and stamped checkering. The original plastic butt plate and grip cap are there. The gun appeared to function, although it was obviously over oiled before being put away and needed the old oil film removed. The gun is part of an estate sale and the price was quickly dropped to $125.00. I'm not really an automatic shooter, but I own a couple. Does anyone out there have a comment on Model 58s. Were they decent guns in their time? ? Is this a good buy?

Paul Dwight
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

My very first smoothbore is a 16 Sportsman 58. Still have it, though it's retired.
You probably noticed that it weighs like a 12 - mine's nearly 8 lbs. So it's hardly an ideal upland gun. On the other hand, I use to shoot it quite a bit and never had any trouble.

When used in serious level skeet (spelt MEGA round count), the 58 had a reputation for developing receiver cracks, hence the evolution to the 1100 in the early '60s. You could probably shoot it for a lifetime of hunting and occasional practice with no worries.

If you like it, get it.

Pete