16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New 16 GA Convert
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Yesterday, I took my son (22 yrs old) to my hunting club for a preserve hunt. Being a typical young guy, he subscribes to the "bigger is better" philosophy. As we were letting the dog out and getting ready to head out, he discovered that he had no shells for his 12 ga Benelli Nova. I loaned him my Merkel 1620 and the hunt proceeded. He was concerned with the prospect of using double triggers but I told him that it was better than throwing rocks. We had 8 chukar put out for us but the preserve owner told us that the previous party had left a number of their birds in the field so we should have a good shoot.

Well, he made some very nice shots with the Merkel and even scratched down a couple birds out around 40 yds. He also managed to get a double using the double triggers. We scratched down 17 birds of which 4 were pheasants - - no free birds for the hunting party coming behind us. Very Happy

At the end of the hunt, he made the generous offer of trading his Benelli for my Merkel. I explained to him, in fatherly way, that when he graduated from college and got a job that he too could buy his very own 1620. Laughing

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:07 am  Reply with quote

Nice story.

I got a similar lesson years ago at my local (in Montana) skeet field when I saw Curt hit every "bird" with his .410 for the first time (saw him do it many times after that as well). Curt helped me, the new guy hit more, but I still am impressed with the simple fact that more isn't necessarly better.

Best to you, and yours.
keith

flyline
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Oh, come on, HC, have a heart. Tell your son he can have a 1620 for graduation! Only on the promise he sticks with 16s, and gets a super job, after college, and can support you!