16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Bore snake
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've never used a bore snake before and want to get your opinions on using and cleaning--from those of you who do use them.

The instructions provided by Hoppe's just say to run it through the bore until clean. Brownells' catalog, though, said to put solvent on the leading end and oil on the other end and run it through 5 times.

What do you guys do?

Also, they're advertised as washable, but no hint as to how to do that.

Again, what do you guys do?

Thanks for your help.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

What I do is run a brush thru a few times,let soak-I run 350-500 rounds a week thru the gun.Brush a time or two again.Next run a few patches to get out the gunk.NOW I grab the bore snake give the barrel a shot of rust guard and run the snake thru 3x.This will prevent the snake from becoming dirtier than needed but still do it's job.When it blackens there are two ways to clean it-my wife prefers #1-use dawn detergent and by hand sqeeze and clean-WATCH OUT for the bristles until clean or #2 put the snake in a sock and toss in with the workclothes-I like this method-more time to load 16's Twisted Evil .Believe it or not these were developed around the turn of the century---not a new idea by any means-but a VERY USEFUL TOOL Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Wink Wink Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:23 am  Reply with quote

I use one for ea of my 12, 16 and 20 ga shotguns. They are perfect for cleaning the bores but do not replace cleaning and maintaining the guns.
A little Shooters Choice on the fuzzy part, a few pulls through each barrel and they are shiney clean.
I have found them extremely useful when away on a hunting trip. Run them through each night after hunting, wipe the gun down and wait till I get home to completely clean the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the help.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

I couldn't find one for a 16 so I use the 20 ga. size. It's plenty tight. If I shot a lot, say a day at the range or a dove hunt, I brush the bore with Hoppes, run a dry patch to get all the black out. Then squirt in some rem oil and pull thru the snake a time or two. shiny as new. On a two day hunt, I'll just run the snake at nite and give her a good cleaning when I get home as above. handy as a pocket on a shirt ( or bag, I keep mine in the end pocket on my 16 ga. bag). Throwing in the wash in a sock is a great idea all nylon and brass so no problems with this method when the snake gets a little grimey. later mod11rem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

mod11,

Thanks for the input. FYI, I can't find the 16 ga size in stores either, but Brownells carries them (although at a premium price, compared to the $12+ WalMart gets for them).
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I use the bore snakes to clean out all my shotguns every time I shoot (sometimes it is the next day, however Smile ).

I have one for 410, 28, 20, 16, and 12 gauges - we can get them through our club.

I have never put oil on them, nor any other cleaning product to good success. I shoot about 11,000 shells per year. At least once per year I do a complete cleaning with gun scrubber on all the guns - takes me about 3 afternoons to go through all the guns Very Happy

Some tips:

I wash my bore snakes about every 2 months - keeps em clean and the one end fuzzy. I toss them all in the washer together - loose. Wash on gentle and they won't get too tangled.

Don't dry them after washing - just hang up until dry.

I tied a loop in every one of the cords. I have a 16d nail in the end of the reloading bench that I hook this over after passing through the barrel. Pull on the barrel and the snake passes right through - easy on the hands. I tape the brass weight to the cord behind the knot. Take the tape off before washing Wink

I also have the loop big enough so that I can loop it over the tailgate latches on the side of the truck when the tailgate is down to pull through the barrels. In the summer I clean at the club before going home. Don't shorten the cord too much - it can be a stretch in a 30 inch barrel.

You might try Grafs for a 16 ga bore snake.

Dr. 16 Gauge
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

662 wrote:
mod11,

Thanks for the input. FYI, I can't find the 16 ga size in stores either, but Brownells carries them (although at a premium price, compared to the $12+ WalMart gets for them).

Cabela's carries them. Had them in Hamburg, Pa yesterday.