16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 12 16 ga.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

I was at Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa yesterday. On their used gun racks I found a Model 12 in 16 ga. Pretty well worn in the finish dept. but mechanically pretty good. Wood was in nice shape, no cracks etc with a few hunting dings.
Question for you guys in the know, what would the going rate be for something like this? They were asking $495. I found a few other Model 12's in 12 ga. all in about the same condition and they were asking $495 for all of them. I am assuming that is the book value or something on that model in that condition?

Thanks

fowler
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:38 am  Reply with quote

I was at Cabelas in Wheeling West Virgina and thay had two real nice M-12 16ga. in the Gun room for around $600.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Riffle Gun Sales, Inc. has a few 16 ga. Model 12's on their website, advertised as 97 to99% guns, all original, and he is asking between $895 and $1,095 for these; he has photos, so you can get an idea, but you still can't tell until you see the guns. Some things to watch for: how is the varnish around the grips? On some of the older guns, the varnish is cracked or missing there; the gun can still be original and nice, but it's something to look for. Other items to check: Does the buttstock match the forend? On the left side of the receiver, where the receiver separates from the barrel assembly, are there any gouges there? Are the screwheads marred? Do the serial numbers on the receiver match those on the barrel?

A lot of deep scratches or mars means the gun was used by someone who didn't take good care of it. The Model 12's are long-time workhorses, but they deserve good care, like anything else. The guns on the Riffle site ranged from 12 gauges to 20 gauges, several 16's--all Mod and Full chokes last time I looked. I've never dealt with the firm; can't speak to their integrity one way or the other.....

bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

Funny, just today I was called about an estate that may have several 16 ga A5s and Model 12s in it (along with some other shotguns). I am more familiar with the A5s and the pricing - owning several.

What is a 16 ga field Model 12 worth these days???

I appreciated Wolfchiefs comments on what to look for - some I check and some new items to check for on a model 12 (and other guns)

Anybody else out there have an opinion on the model 12 in 16 ga?

I don't know if these guns are for sale - I was just asked to provide opinions of them if I could. I will see them next week I believe.

Dr. 16 Gauge
dcat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked up a M12 in 16ga. with a modified choke for $400. Made in 1958 and has the larger forend. Finish is probably 95% and thinning on the barrel and slide and 90% on the reciever with some light freckling. Forend is perfect. Butt has some scratches but has good tight grain with no splitting and almost all of the finish. Most importantly, no gouges on the receiver from barrel removal and the inside of the barrel is perfect. This gun looks like the barrel may have never been taken off the receiver before today, and it has never been tightened.

Regards,
dcat
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:26 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of the last one being a problem. That of the barrel serial number matching the receiver. A lot of barrels were switched or replaced for what ever reason.

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have a website for Dave Riffles Gun Sales?

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

What I do is type in Dave Riffle Gun Sales, Inc. on my search engine and I can find it that way; I'm not much of a computer jock....

16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

This should work
http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/or.htm

16crazy
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, he has some nice looking guns there. Especially the Model 12 16 Ga's.

bigric
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

The Cabelas in Buda had about a half-dozen Model 12s on the used rack when I was there last month, including 2-3 16 guage models. They ranged from 1x,xxx serials on up. They even had a few LW 12s. IIRC, the prices were about $275-400, depending on condition.