16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Preserve hunting in the Northwest
wabahockey
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

I just found out it is not too early to book a hunt at a shooting preserve for this fall. I contacted my favorite place and they said they were all booked for 2008 and a lot of 2009. So much for a best-kept secret. I have hunted here many times and I like it and wasn't ready to change.

Now I need to find some new areas. Any of you have any experience with shooting preserves in Oregon or Washington? Would you go back there again.

I don't want this to be a discussion on wether to hunt at preserves, or not. I'm just asking for recommendations. Thanks.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've only hunted on a preserve once, and that was in Oregon, and it was a letdown to be frank. I've heard good things about the one in Klickitat however. I do think they are a great way to keep the dog working on birds into March. After that, I start monthly field trials with my dog club over planted quail through August. It's a blast.
wabahockey
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Yes. I have had good/bad experiences also. Looking for a reference before I do a lot of trial and error.

We're doing all this hunting for the dogs benefit, right?

Roper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

I've had very good experience with Double Barrel Ranch in Rockford, WA. They have a website that will give the facts and data. My times there have been a great learning experience for shooting over a pointer. (I mostly hunt forest grouse, dogless)
They have a great clays set up, nice lodging, pleasant staff, great pointers, and it's in a great setting. What more can I say?
wabahockey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Roper. I have looked at Double Barrel's website and it looked interesting. What I really needed was a report from someone that had been there. So thanks for your reply.

Your post says that you hunt forest grouse. That was my main bird to hunt when I lived there. Hunting without a dog it was possible to use a 410 pistol. I heard Washington no longer allows rifles or pistols for grouse. Is that true? What do you use for grouse?

Roper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

I use a 50 cal single shot...just kidding.

My new go to is a BPS Hunter 26" in 16ga. My other favorite is an 870 Wingmaster in 28ga. Most all my hunting is in Okanogan Co. around Republic or Oroville. We have a recreational property above Oroville in the highlands. Trout in the spring and grouse in the fall, can't beat that with a stick. We have a decent population of both ruffed and blue grouse, enough to bring a few to the dinner table on most hunts.

Double Barrel now requires two guns in the field, if you need a partner, let me know.
wabahockey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:49 am  Reply with quote

Roper,
When I hunted grouse there I went north of Winthrop. Never went home empty-handed. I think I'll try it again this fall.

I have a niece in Spokane so I'll try double barrel. We can always leave my wife in Spokane while we hit some pheasants. I'll take you up on that.