16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Marlin model 90 16/20 ga
saw557
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have a question for Charles the resident Model 90 expert. Will the 20 gauge barrels fit any model 90 16ga or is it a hit or miss deal. It sounds like a neat way to make nice combo gun
Scott
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Hello Scott;

Due to these guns being machined on manual machines of the time , the ability to interchange parts without fitting is a hit and miss propisition , yes you can fit a set of barrels to your gun , any compentent gunsmith can do this for you and your right it does make for a wonderful combo gun .

I already done this to one gun and will do it to several more soon as time permits , but I must say I will always shoot the 16ga over the 20ga it is just more forgiving , and balanced proportionally in line with how and what I shoot .

To just put it mildly the 16ga bore just delivers the best pattern versa a 20 bore hands down.

Regards Charles
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

I saw a strange model 90 at a gun show today. The receiver wasn't blued it had some kind of golden bronze finish. I asked the dealer if he knew what kind of finish it was and he said no, but he had seen another years ago. It was actually an attractive finish.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Mattkcc:

I think you would find that the finish your describing is a gun that has be hot blued in a caustic salts bath, with age it turns the color you just described , I just got one in with a rib that looked just as you described, This gun went to a guy that I work with that would not leave me alone .

I loaned him a ribbed Marlin 90 in 16ga to take to Kansas Pheasant hunting and when he got back I ask for a report , all he would say is how much do you want for the gun ???

I would not sell this one to him , so in order to keep him from driving me crazy wanting that gun ,(its one that I shoot extreamly well otherwise I would have parted with it ) I found this one and he bought it , it was colored as you described as well .

Iron does not blue well in a hot tank , but it does seem to hold up real well to a rust blue , still no discolorations to the ones I have rust blued .

Regards Charles
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:08 pm  Reply with quote

I came close to making a deal on a different model 90. It fit me great had a ribbed barrel for $450. The gun was tight and the wood in great shape but the bluing on the receiver was in poor shape, several large blotchy areas of missing bluing not like normal ware. The wood to metal fit was better then most I've seen. Oh well I've been trying to stay away from guns that can't shoot steel. Missouri is taking the first steps in going lead free and I can't see spending $3 a shell to shoot quail, dove, rabbits and squirrel.
saw557
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:53 am  Reply with quote

I hear you there..MN is looking at a lead ban in the farm country to start with but you know what happens once you go down that slippery slope. Personaly I think it's blown out of proportion. I've voiced my opinion on the subject on other forums and its amazing people just don't get it.....Steel is not an effective choice but some claim #2 steel is the wonder bullet and then I try and tell them about the pellet count especialy in smaller gauges and they still don't get it. Its like beating your head against the wall
Scott
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:14 am  Reply with quote

I think you messed up by not aquiring the Marlin a rust blue job on the receiver would have made her good as new .

It will be a sad day when the anti's get the nontoxic agenda pushed thru.

But here is one answer to the problems we all face .

http://www.huntersbismuth.com/home.html

But you know what Woodcock has been shooting STEEL in his Marlin 90's for years with no side effects , I have been shooting a bit in mine as well with the open chokes , this is what I shot the ducks with and have been doing a bit of testing on the side.

What I have set aside is a Junk barrel for shooting STEEL and not worry about it I have my 16ga duckgun and I am not looking back.

But I do think and this is just an idel speculation on my part from building barrels all those years and testing , that the Marlin 90 in 16ga the barrels will hold up to steel for years if you keep the chokes down under say .010 for a MAX I have been shooting the .005 and .008 in my 26" cedar stocked gun and can detect no problems YET ! But I think I will be fine for the rest of my days shooting steel in the ole junk gun that I dearly love.

Regards Charles
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I can see where you could get hooked on the Marlin 90. I tried to sell a old civil war, Prussian musket to get the money. While several collectors were interested they all said the trend right now is for carbines. Also, after I bought it for a shooter I'd have to find a beater for a parts gun. Then a 20ga and on and on. Besides I'm trying to save up for a predator rifle and since I'm a lefty it will have to be built to get what I want. I sure wish my Citori had two triggers and slimmer receiver like the Marlin.