16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  polychoke yes or no
tbjohn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:56 am  Reply with quote

Mine is a non sweet that my grandfather got new in the early 50's. The gun looks great. I like the poly but cannot get used to the "front of the fngergaurd" safety. I have tried all the diferent choke setting on paper and it does just like it says.
powderburn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Jeff sorry I can't remember all of the issues that made me wonder as it's been 15-20 years ago since I sold it. It did have the front trigger guard push/pull safety the poly choke which the seller told me came on it and there was something about the markings/ engraving that were odd and the guy told me that it was because that they restarted right after the war and were using various lots of parts and components when the factory started up after the German occupation. That's all I remember .

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 am  Reply with quote

Powderburn,

That is a long time ago and water is well under the bridge but there is a lot of bad information spread about and a few misconceptions to learn about from this. The front of the trigger guard safety is often described as a "pre-war" safety. However the truth is that Browning did not change from that safety to a cross block safety until late 1951 after about 4 years of post war production. This change had nothing to do with using up prewar parts etc.

In fact precious little changed when production resumed, which is why I asked what you had been told. About the only significant change was that the Light Twelve was introduced right after the war in 1946.

But this is a string about 16 ga's and polychokes...so back to the topic:

You can tell if a Polychoke was originally installed by Browning or by FN. Move the collet all the way forward and look at the exposed metal just in front of the sight bead. If you find the number 11 it was installed by Browning as an option, if you find the number 9 it was installed by FN.

Regards,

Jeff
ron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:42 am  Reply with quote

If your shotgun is threaded for screw in choke tubes. The Poly-Choke II & the Tru-Glo new models will screw into the barrel. I have read several Pro's & Con's about them. Several older models of A5's, M11's M12's M37's M48's. Came with factory installed poly-chokes. If a shotgun I wanted to buy had one installed, it would not stop me from buying it.

RON