16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pros and Cons of Snap Caps
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

that last point about firing pin spring tension reduction is interesting. I don't use snap caps but kinda want to for a little "practice" But have always wonderd what's best. Leaving a gun cocked, or, in the case of no snap caps, slamming the firing pin to its limit? In principal I'd think that uncocked was better for long term storage, but, in reality does it make any difference? I kinda doubt it.

Using old shells always seemed too difficult in my semi-autos (1100's) and pumps and didn't even occur to me for my recently aquired O/U's.

Safety wise - I agree completely with our poster from across the pond. Every gun is loaded so point it only where a shot would be acceptable. I'm such a simpleton Smile

Best to all

roll crimp
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 am  Reply with quote

I too am some what surprised by the fact that springs do not loose any of their resiliance under tension but rather by use. Since I am not a mechanical enginer I can not question that statement. Perhaps I just learned something?

My gut feeling however is this: Modern guns, autos and pumps in perticular, may not be harmed by prolonged storage with the hamer in a cocked condition, however I have have dealt with SxS's and side lock SxS's in perticular for a good numebr of years and feel that with "V" springs, they should be relaxed rather than compressed for long term storage.

Snap caps are an absolute essential, in my opinion, for any dry-firing. Regarless of the type of gun from military to sporting, better, more knowledgable individules than I have touted the benifits of using snap caps for dry firing and not just letting the firing pin slam forward.

On the LC Smith forum and the Parker forums you see advise on not dry firing without a snap cap (home made or commercial) for fear of eventually breaking a firing pin.

I think for the cost of the item it is well worth having.

I also do think that they are NOT easily confused with live rounds. Anyone that unaware should not have access to any guns, at all.
ron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
The theory is that they relieve the pressure on the hammer spring, preserving it and lengthening it's life.

However springs dont go soft based on time under tension, they go soft based on cycles of movement. So there is no real importance to them.

In addition there are lots of springs in most guns...what possible benefit is there to releasing the tension of just one of them?

All that being said, I have lots of equally fun, neat and traditional things that serve no useful purpose other than entertainment value and I like them. So use them and enjoy them.

Jeff

Modern coil & leaf installed in todays firearms, will not take set or go soft if left under tension. Unlike the ones installed in the old grandfather clocks. I own snap caps do I use them, sometimes, do I put away my my guns cocked, sometimes. If you dont want your sxs or o/u to cock when closing remove the forend befor closing the gun.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:50 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="ron[/quote]If you dont want your sxs or o/u to cock when closing remove the forend befor closing the gun.[/quote]

I may well be missing something here, but I'm under the impression my guns (all boxlocks) won't go back together with the forearm on. In other words, it's barrels and action to receiver, then forearm. Am I missing something?
ron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 am  Reply with quote

MFG: I really ment befor opening your sxs or o/u. Without the forearm on the gun when it's opened it will not cock. the forearm cocks the gun when the gun is opened, by moving the cocking levers in the receiver to cock the hammers.

RON
ron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:12 am  Reply with quote

MFG: I must be having a bad day, when the forearm is OFF the gun it will not cock when opened.