16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga drilling
mvick
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

I am the proud new owner of a Merkel drilling, 16X16 over 30-30. I bought it for a favorable price at a Scheel's in St Cloud, MN last week. It was made in 1924. It's relly sweet, and I intend to use it.

Although the chamber gauge I have ordered from Brownells is not yet here, I will bet dollars to donuts that it will have a short chamber. I think I'd rather buy short shells than have the chambers lengthened on this nice old piece.

Any thoughts on feeding this guy? I see Midway has 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 shlls. I've heard of both 2 1/2 and 2 9/16 in 16 ga, but what is this 2 5/8 stuff???

Plastic or paper? Roll crimp? Spred-r shells from polywad?

I was really happy to find a nice old European drilling with a rifle chambered for a readily available cartridge at a price I was willing to pay. Now it's a science project.
longwalker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:37 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase! I just returned from a hunt in Germany, my host used a Merkel drilling in 12 ga. and his father had one in 16 ga. Made me kinda lust after one. They are perfect for mixed bag hunts.

I have had good results in my old Ithaca sxs shooting the Kent Gamebore 2-1/2" shells, 1 oz, #6. They work very well on upland birds.

Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations on a super buy!

I use Lyalvale Express 2 1/2" cartridges in 28g loads, they are good game getters. 1375fps

Lyalvale also make a 2 1/2" 25g 7/8oz load 1350fps.

Eley VIP are also a good 16GA shell!

JonP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

I use RST's in no. 6 shot---S&B 145 grain SP in the third barrel Wink

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:35 am  Reply with quote

mvick 2 9/16 th inches was the standard chamber length for 16 gauge and 2 5/8th inches was the standard length for 12 gauge until 2 3/4 inches was adopted as the standard chamber length for all U S gauges back in the 1930s. 2 1/2 inch chambers were used for British and some Continental guns until they too adopted the 2 3/4 inch chamber length as standard.

2 1/2, 2 9/16th and 2 5/8th inch shells are all usable in any of the short chambered or modern chamber length guns so long as the guns are in good condition and chamber pressures do not exceed the capabilities of the particular gun.

Don't automatically assume that short shells equate to low pressure and/or low recoil. I have shot some 2 1/2 inch Fiocchi 1 ounce loads that rattle your teeth.