16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anyone here useing the browning gage reducers?
powderburn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Saw some of these on the internet and was wondering how easy they were to use ie extracting the spent hull. Also how does your gun pattern? I am assuming you are essentially shooting a cyl choke and with greatly reduced pressure in the barrel.

SageRat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

I have shot quite a few boxes of 20 ga. in a 12 ga. gun. They extract fine when using STS or AA cases. Keep in mind, that the cases will have a split down one side. If you are not going to reload the cases, they do ok.

As far as patterning, they are excellent. I have also shot 20's in a 16, again with excellent patterns.

They are certainly not easily used when one is doing volume shooting. Sometimes the cases will stick in the adaptor so a piece of dowel to push them out is useful. I have tried using them when shooting starlings, and they are too slow for me. If you are in the market, email me.By the way, the patterns will coincide with the chokes in the gun.
powderburn
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I am sort of surprised at the fact that the chokes remain true to the gun as I would have expected that a 20ga wad and charge would throw a cyl pattern in a 12 bore gun. My main reason fr asking was that I have an old shotgun of my grandfathers that is about .042 choke and throws very tight patterns. I was thinking I might get a open pattern by simply using the adaptors. Oh well like so many of my great ideas it looked so good on paper.

bird dog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Here is how you open that pattern by using special ammo.

http://www.polywad-shotgun-shells.com/spred-r-spreaders/

Mike

Draht guy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:45 pm  Reply with quote

I don't have the Browining gauge reducers but have some Gauge Mate Golds. I am extremely happy with them. The hulls are easy to remove from the Gauge Mates. I have 20 ga. reducers for my 16 ga. The hulls do split.

Kevin

Trigg
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

I tried the Brownings and fired one shell in each barrel and could not remove either shell; neither could my dealer who insisted on taking them back and sent them to Browning. I never heard what Browning had to say.