16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ever hear of chokes installed crooked?
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

A week and a half ago I shot the choke tube out of my 12ga model 12. I posted about it on the "guns" forum here, and this is kind of a follow up.

My regular gunsmith says it is obvious the chokes were not installed straight. The receptionist for the outfit that did the work "finds that very hard to believe."

Just curious if you guys have ever heard of this type of thing before.

Thanks!

NR

PS, I can't post pics, cuz I don't have the gun in my posession.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have never heard of anyone complaining about crooked choke tubes but as an old machinist I can tell you it is possible to thread a hole crooked with a tap. The best way to avoid this is by using a pilot on the end of the tap or start the threads with a boring tool. Yes it is possible. Probably what your gunsmith is seeing is that the threads are full on one side but not full depth on the other.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

This is the kind of horror story I think about when I consider having thin walled tubes installed in my Ugartechea.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Hello 97:

As Scolari said it is very possible to install the choke tubes at an angle indeed .

When I was building barrels we installed many tubes tipped up or down to accomodate a customers wishes , now this is not a choice of mine , I didnt approve but it was a thing we done per the wish of certain customers to obtain the point of impact that they wanted with a certain rib height .

You bet a poor job can be done !!!!!!!! Best to shoot fixed chokes and load your ammo to accomodate the one up or down choke that you need , no problems that way.

I can tell you so much but I will not , just that if you have a gun that shoots for you like a magic wand then DONT SCREW IT UP WITH TUBES if you dont care about the gun very much then tube it , you have not lost much if something happens .

Regards Charles
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Agreed Charles. Time to get some buffer and nickel shot to turn my modified to full.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:42 am  Reply with quote

If the person doing the work is accomplished and paying attention, the job will been done well. If its just some bored and tired factory worker whose had a rough weekend of partying, beer, and football, you can bet it will happen.

I've had to send several 12 and 20 ga. Remington Remchoke barrels back to them for exchange because of this exact problem. I've also identified the problem in several Rugers, Brownings, and SKB guns with factory tubes over the years. I know of a couple of Beretta guns witrh the problem as well. However, I've also had Mike Orlen install choke tubes in a bunch of guns without any trouble at at. He has the proper tools, the know how, and its his livlihood. He's motivated to do the job right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, learn how to spot any and all potential bore problems. Then look down those bores carefully before you buy or accept a gun from anyone. Good barrels are the heart and soul of a shotgun. You buy into the problem, its yours to deal; with. Leave those troubles on the gun rack.
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:43 am  Reply with quote

Shooting out a choke tube is, believe it or not, not all that unheard of
on the trap range. I've seen it happen more than once !
It usually happens to the novice shooter who owns an entry level trap
gun and has range bag full of choke tubes. They are constantly swapping tubes in an effort to get better scores. Eventually they mess up the threads on one from hurried up changes. Or they cross thread it. The real warning sign comes when they start to complain that a tube won't stay screwed in tight ! Extended tubes seem to be more prone to loosening. Some of these guys will change tubes a half a dozen times in an afternoon ! It also seems to happen more often to shooters with an older field gun not originally designed for choke tubes. They heat the barrel up by shooting a hundred rounds in an hour and never check the tube for tightness.
Iam sure that a barrel can be tapped crooked. A tube can have the threads cut lop-sided. But I believe that the most common cause of shooting out a tube is that the tube is either loose or cross-threaded.
I have had Briley install tubes in a bunch of guns and have never had a problem. I shoot Brownings , a-lot, and have never had a problem with factory tubes either.
I see no problem with choke tubes. They do require extra attention when it comes to keeping the threads cleaned and lubed. They must be installed properly and kept tight.
A loosening problem in older or classic guns "MAY" come from the fact that choke tubes are a recent addition to shotgun technology. They are designed to match the metal in MODERN barrels. There "MAY" be enough difference in the metallurgy between modern barrels and older barrels that when heat and pressure is applied the tube may not be held as securely in older barrels. Just a theory !

Rabbitdog

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Well, I'm not trying to start an arguement here RD (God knows I've been in my share already Rolling Eyes ). I'm trying to prevent a possible problem and any accidents that could result from it. Unfortunately, the Remchoke barrels I referred to in my post all had the factory cut choke seats and female threads done at an angle severe enough to allow the rear choke tube leades to obstruct the bore slightly. One round would have sent the tube downrange out of any one of them. So I'd have to say it does happen.

Thankfully these problems were all spotted before any accidents happened. Remington CS fell all over itself trying to make the matter right in these cases. I'm certain they knew just how bad things could have gotten if the guns were actually fired and somebody got injured by flying steel debris. They were actually grateful we spotted the mistake and said so.

As far as it happening on a trap range, yes, I've seen it happen a few times, and probably for the same carelessness you've mentioned. It's just damned lucky it did not happen at a shoot where any service personnel were exposed on an adjacent field. In one of these cases, the damned tube flew off at a pretty severe angle and landed near the next trap house entrance. If someone had been entering or exiting that house, they would have been struck by the ruined tube. Not good.

NO, unfortunately, it does happen. Check out them bores and the tubes in them too folks. Avoiding a problem is better than having to solve it after it becomes a bigger problem that has also become your problem, because you bought it or caused it with a bit of unintentional carelessness. Safety first.
Rabbitdog
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

NO ARGUMENT FROM HERE ! I agree with you 100% 16gaugeguy. I have
received the benifit of your diligent inspection practices, opinions and knowledge. The 16ga Citori I bought from you last year has digested well over a thousand rounds since then with out the slighest issue.
I truly value the knowledge and advice offered here on this forum from
everyone who cares enough to offer it. Especially when it comes from highly experienced folks like yourself. Keep it up !

Rabbitdog

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:29 am  Reply with quote

I really appreciate that RD. Thank you. I'm also very glad you are happy with the gun. It's all about what helps to make this old world spin a bit more smoothly. I'm a very firm believer, that if I am not part of the solution, I am part of the problem. Keep the faith my friend. Thanks again.
ron
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I will not say it cant happen. But I beleive all choke tubes are threaded with UNF (Uniform National Fine) threads. I think it would be hard to cross thread a UNF thread,but the barrel could have been threaded crooked. As has been suggested. My Ithaca M37 & Remington 870 have UNF threads on the tubes. I always start the tubes with my fingers run them in & use the wrench to snug them up. I use STOS grease in the tube threads.

RON
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 am  Reply with quote

I had some barrel work done on my 12 gauge Berretta and after I got it back, I noticed that the barrel were not shooting dead on at 30 yards. I thought it was the company that did the porting but after rethinking the situation, I came to the conclusion that I never shot both barrels to ensure point of contact with both of them. I notifiied Beretta and to their credit, they replaced it with a new set of barrels that shoot fine.

How this applies to you is that are you positive that the gun shot at point of contact before you had the chokes placed??

If yes, on this question; then tighten up the choke and shoot a couple of shot to determine point of contact. Get a marking pen to place a spot on the top of the choke. Unscrew the choke only 180 degrees (won't hurt your gun) and shoot a couple more shot. If your chokes are screwed incorrectly, your more recent shot shoud be on the opposite side of the patterning board.

I would do that before attempting any other tasks. Please let us know it goes...