16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Jug choking?
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:52 am  Reply with quote

The reason why (I have read and been told) that larger shot will shoot a tighter pattern than smaller shot given all other factors staying constant is how smaller particles can fill a determined space "better" than larger particles. If for this example, you put #1 shot in a shotcup and find that there are significant spaces or indices between each of the shot. When you ignite your shot load, there is minimal shot deformation because you are only having the shot touch each other on those specific areas, Now if you use #10 shot and place it in a shot cup, you will find that they are minimal spaces between the shot and upon ignitions, the shot can and will deform on several surfaces. I know I'm using an extreme range of #1 and #10 shot but that little amount of shot deformation can cause a "okay" pattern with #6 but can provide a "good" pattern with #5. If you can minimize your shot deformation by 5-10% will improve your pattern by almost that amount. A deformed shot that is a "flyer" does not show up on paper or in the pattern. You can learn alot of watching those guys that shoot either live pidgeons or 27 yard handicap trap. They have to make llloooonnnggg shots on a consistant basis to stay in the money.

Good luck...
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Hello UncleDan:

You should visit with IFL16 out in your neck of the woods.

We have been taking the Cylinder bore to 30 yards , .005 to 40 yards , .008 to 50 yards and .016 to 60 yards I think you will find what you have , will do the job nicely if you put it on the target .

Balance your load to accomplish what your attempting to get done and remember the shotgun is a touch ART a touch SCIENCE , I wonder some of the time which is the predominate one.

Regards Charles
SageRat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dan, some of the best money I ever spent was on nickel plated shot. I found that I could kill chukars past the 40 yard mark with regularity. That was using my Benelli Ultra Lite with .020 of choke.

To avoid the witches brew of various receipes, I settled on #5 NP shot and it works. After all, you probablly won't shoot too many boxes on game birds.

Sage Rat in Oregon
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Sagerat, you're right, I don't go through too many boxes during a season. My best day on chukars was five for five before missing one. I enjoy working up pet loads and patterning them at the range. It's a great way to spend a summer day. Anyway, it sounds like a call to bp for some nickel shot and buffer is in order.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I've choked a few jugs in my time. Considering some of the stuff in jugs I've run up on in the past, its a wonder I could even choke it down. Sure was'nt like Granny's ruematiz medicine---WHOOOOOWEEE!!! Very Happy If you was snakebit while takin a snort of this stuff, the snake would curl up and die. Rolling Eyes
xtimberman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

16GG, that's funny!

Now I've got to wipe my afternoon coffee off the keyboard.

xtm
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:58 am  Reply with quote

OOOPs!! My apologies to your keyboard. Wink