16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 guage manual
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:04 pm  Reply with quote

I just got my "16 Guage manual" that I ordered from Ballistic Products. It's great. In addition to a lot of history about 16's it is full of all kinds of other info, tips, techniques etc. As well as several pages of load data. A really good all around book to have for a 16 ga. afficianado. $13.95 plus shipping. It extolls the virtues of this guage as well as dispelling some myths about 16 and 12 alike. the main message I got from the first few pages was "load it correctly for the job at hand and let it do it's job". In close quarters, almost any 16 will do anything a 12 will do and be lighter, easier to point and handle and kick you a little less. If you need a big old heavy 10 or 12 to skybust passing geese at 70 yards, go get one. I've got a couple of these "smoking fence posts". While weight and size is usually not an issue in the duck blind, it is everywhere else incl. the range.

hail to the 16 Smile

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

I also have this manual-I personally think they rape us on shipping Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:55 am  Reply with quote

I hope they've updated that booklet. I got one, 4th edition priced at $9.00, a while back from a friend and after reading it I'm glad it came as a gift (cast-off really, he doesn't have any interest in 16's). One useful element is the reload log in the back. Copies of those pages help keep reload data at hand.

kgb

mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:47 am  Reply with quote

maybe I'm just hungry to read anything specifically about 16's. I agree most of it is old news and I think they did get to us on the shipping. However, like the last post, the reload info if good stuff.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

I'll read about anything 16ga as well, especially if it's useful as reference. About every upland hunting book I've got has info on the 16, if not a chapter devoted to it specifically. Lots of info is repeated, on occasion you can find a specialty article in an old magazine.

I find all of the available new guns encouraging, and groups like this keep everyone up to speed on what's out there. Never thought I'd buy a newer gun but the Citori is a pretty slick one and I got one for target shooting...just before the 525 in 16ga is announced! All to do now is continuing reload development to make the things that aren't out there despite our very real desires--lighter loads, and quality shot in a wider variety of sizes and weights.

kgb