16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Win mod 1912, 16G - need advice
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Last week I found a Winchester mod 1912 in 16 g. The gun is in a nice shape regarding metal and fore end. The stock, however, is not quite in harmony with my taste. I am considering to buy the gun, but I will never show up at the range or at a hunt without having changed the stock.

Do you know where to get a new or second hand stock? I have looked at Brownells, Numrich, Midway and Boyd's. I'd prefer a simple factory stock, as I like the Winchester measures.

So it looks:

Regards,

Old Sh.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

A good stock maker should be able to perform wonders on the one that is there. The stock appears to have too much wood in the wrong places, and other than the fluting at the comb, should respond well to some rasping, and shaping. It seems to match the front wood quite well also.
That would be my plan of attack. Might be cheapest as well.
Best,
Ted

old16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Ted. That would be my first choice. Old 16

Rockydog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Although I don't do much business on E-bay anymore, since their latest gun parts, case, hull bans, I know that model 12 stocks do show up on there fairly often. I don't believe a 12 guage stock will fit. I do think 16 and 20 are interchangable. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong on that. RD
walt lister
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:35 pm  Reply with quote

Rockydog is right, the16 & 20 ga stocks are the same.
There's nothing you could do to make that stock any worse so if it was mine I'd get out the saws and rasps and have at it. You could reshape it into a presentable straight stock or an early 1/4 pistol grip with a little work and have fun while you are at it. If all you ended up with was a pile of sawdust then you could look for a replacement.

Keep an eye on this site, items change.
http://sporting-goods.search.ebay.com/winchester_Shotgun_W0QQdfspZ2QQsacatZ73954

Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Found a site with M12 stocks and a lot of other fine stuff; http://jeffsoutfitters.com

BTW, It should be marked "Model 1912", which should mean that it is rather old. "Winchester Model 12 slide action shotguns were marked as the "Model 1912" from 1912-1919" does wiki.answers.com say.

Thanks for your inputs!

Old Sh.
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Agree with the others: get a rasp and have at it. Aside from the protuberant PG there's not alot "wrong" with the rest of the buttstock. Approach it as a complete reconstruction, maybe even add a nice wood spacer if LOP is not to your liking.

I can't tell from the picture if the gun has enough originality (is that a matte finish on the barrel?) to be made "right" by way of an original buttstock. But you can always take an unhurried approach to finding one.

Sam
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Today I have spoken to the seller. Serial n:r is 1450XX, which implies that it was made in 1917. The barrel length is 24", and it is stamped "nickel steel". The barrel is said to be matte, as if it hadn't been polished before blueing.

Do you think it's worth $100? I do, and I think it's going to be a nice project gun.

Old Sh.
Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Old Shatterhand,

I think you have a real good deal at a $100. I'd love to see it when you have finished it. Wink

Rockydog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

O.S., I am also the owner of a new to me Winchester. In fact my quest for info led me here. My Model 1912 is also a 1917, 1553xx. Mine has a solid rib. I don't know if you are aware of this but unless it's been modified your gun has a 2 9/16 chamber. Unless the chamber has been lengthened and the ejector port opened up you may have trouble ejecting 2 3/4" shells. Mine has a hang up with about 1 in 4 or 5 rounds fired when using 2 3/4. RD
Stewart
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Yes, later 16 ga. model 12s were stamped "2-3/4" chamber" on the left side. I'm not sure exactly when Winchester made the transition but probably late 20s. Also, you can purchase 2-1/2" and 2-9/16" shells. They are hardly more difficult to find than 2-3/4" 16 ga. shells. Kent/Gamebore, BPI and Polywad have them. Most older 16 ga. doubles are also chambered for 2-9/16" but of course you don't have the ejection problem. I think the conventional thinking now is that pressure is not an issue.
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:53 am  Reply with quote

Stewart wrote:
---I think the conventional thinking now is that pressure is not an issue.

Both length has the same CIP pressure standard. I suppose that SAAMI is equal to that.

I consider to open the ejection port, as I already have another 16 G gun for 2 3/4 cases.

Old Sh.