16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Beagles
Norm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

Several years ago, I had 2 young gyps from the same litter. They were about a year old at the time. I also had a refrigerator box full of about 300 small quail.

One drizzly Sunday night around midnight, I heard a commotion on the porch and went out to find the box overturned, and all of the quail walking around the front yard. Millie would gently get a bird in her mouth and bring it too me so I could put it back in the box, Maggie would crunch and eat one bird, then look for the next snack. I don't know if it was that early taste for birds, or some other reason, but to this day Maggie will trail ANY game bird. If she starts yipping on a trail and none of the other dogs take up with her, you can pretty much bet there's a bird about to flush.

Nothing against Labs, but I prefer beagles. The one thing I envy you Lab guys on is that your dogs will retrieve, If one of the beagles gets to the game first, they figure it's "finders keepers."

Come to think of it, doesn't much matter what the breed, it's the dogs that make the hunt. Just hope my buddy remembers that when my beagles are teaching his new Weimaraner bad habits!!