16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Fox value
dkmlever
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:58 am  Reply with quote

I am looking at a Fox with 2 1/2 inch chambers. How is the value effected by lengthing the chambers to 2 3/4"?
Can it be done easliy?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

dkmlever unless the Fox in question is a rare high grade variation or in absolutely pristine condition lengthening the chambers or better yet lengthening the forcing cones will only add to the usability and value of the gun.

Either procedure is not expensive but be sure you have a Smith with the right equipment and experience do the job.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:10 pm  Reply with quote

If its a letter grade gun in high condition I'd think twice about reaming the chambers. An average condition Sterlingworth or A grade that I planned to hunt with would be a prime candidate for a trip to Mike Orlen for chamber,forcing cone and choke work. The job is not a big deal with the right equipment.

budrichard
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:11 am  Reply with quote

2&1/2" 16 gauge shells are readily available and the pressures and components of the loads are more suitable to your gun than today's modern 2&3/4" loads.
Frankly, I don't purchase any rechambered doubles.-Dick
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:11 am  Reply with quote

budrichard wrote:
2&1/2" 16 gauge shells are readily available and the pressures and components of the loads are more suitable to your gun than today's modern 2&3/4" loads.

With a Fox lengthening chambers or forcing cones is not an issue. Fox changed to chambering all of their 16 gauge guns to 2 3/4 inch in the late 30s without any modifications or reinforcement to the existing frame or barrels.
budrichard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
budrichard wrote:

With a Fox lengthening chambers or forcing cones is not an issue. Fox changed to chambering all of their 16 gauge guns to 2 3/4 inch in the late 30s without any modifications or reinforcement to the existing frame or barrels.

A simplistic answer to a more complicated question.
The Fox in question would have been proofed with 2&1/2" shells. Simply finding a gunsmith to lengthen the chambers is not as simple as it seems. There were and are many indiviuals calling themselves gunsmiths, some not so good and some good. In Great Britain after altering a firearm, it must be reproofed by one of the Proof Houses, in the US there is no such requirement, so how does one know if the work has been done correctly and the gun is safe to shoot. BTW, the Proof house first inspects the gun to assure it meets standards and then Proofs.
Not being privy to any Engineering or material changes that Fox may have made when going to the longer chamber, I woulod view any rechambering conducted in the US with caution.
As I stated, its just easier and I believe safer to use the correct ammunition and not rechamber.-
Dick