16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Source of 16 ga. factory 9's
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:38 am  Reply with quote

I'm shooting in a winter skeet league and would love to find a source of relatively light-recoiling (less than Rem. game load 8's) factory #9 loads for my Citori 16 ga. What's the "best" load, where do you purchase them, and what's the approx. cost? My time for reloading is scarce in the winter.... Thanks !

Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:47 am  Reply with quote

The good news is Fiocchi has a 1 oz of 9s @ 1165 f/s load in their game load series.
It's available from Grafs and Ballistic Products.
It's a very nice load that I've used for skeet.

The bad news is they run around $55 a flat. I've never seen it discounted.

Pete
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I shoot a lot of skeet - probably 7000 shells this year (watch for my post in early Jan. with the totals and successes Smile ) - primarily reloaded (sorry Wolfchief) so I thought to weigh in here. I have not seen a commercial loading of 9s in 16 - but will now check Grafs.

To stir the pot:

For skeet -
In 410 and 28 gauge I use 9s exclusively. (1/2 and 3/4 oz)
In 20 and 16 gauge I use 8s exclusively. (7/8 and 1 oz)
In 12 gauge I use 7.5s. (1 oz)

For trap -
In 16 I shoot 8s (1 oz)
in 12 I shoot 7.5s (1 oz)

Why my choices - in the 410 especially I'm looking for more pellets in that 1/2 oz (as all are). You should see what 12s do to station 8 high in 410 Twisted Evil And in 28 - same thing holds mostly true. Although every once in a while I load some 7.5s in 28 ga and go shoot sporting clays at Rend Lake.

However, I have found that I (personally) get much more consistent breaks with the larger pellet sizes in the larger gauges - for whatever reason. Further, in the winter, the larger shot sizes seem to smash the targets a little better too.

I'm sure 16gg will weigh in on this - I shoot a LOT of targets and that probably helps. I averaged 21+ birds in the 410 league this year and 23+ birds in the large open league this year (I shot 28 ga - for the hulls of course Wink ).

Other issues - I am shooting reloads in the 1100 to 1150 feet per second area. I have not chronographed in a while.

I have all 5 gauges set up on relaoding bench at once in Mec Grabbers and use same recipe I like each time for each shell type.

I use GREEN DOT in all gauges except 410 - buying 8 lb jugs at a time.

What do you think.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

Fiocchi 9's. My preferred bobwhite load. I buy them at my local range. $55 flat sounds right.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

I'll stir the pot Twisted Evil I shoot the 410 for skeet followed by 20,28,16 and 12 combined yearly consumtion of shells 20,000.Throw in the other games for extras-who's counting.First any shot size-other than buck-will smoke a #eight station target.Wouldn't even mess with the 12's.Nines for all the gauges in skeet.The birds are tougher in the cold but a centered pattern of the little pellets will do the job.
I agree with the larger pellets for trap targets are farther away-retained energy is GOOD.Sporting clays also requires longer ,tougher shots.By tougher I mean tree leaves,branches any obstruction.The larger pellet combine with a larger payloud 1 1/8 of 71/2's is the ticket.
As far as powder-TALK ABOUT STIRRING THE POT-HERE GOES
.410---Alliant .410
28 ga--Universal Clays
20 ga.--International Clays
16 ga Universal Clays
12 ga Solo 1000