16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Stripped and ready to finish
sothere
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 am  Reply with quote

This is the experimental phase before I take on the Rem. M-31 Solid Rib.
I bought two guns from a fella that he had "painted" for lack of a better term,
What he used I have no idea but an acetone bath followed by a denatured alcohol soak has removed his handi-work nicely.I assume he chemically stripped it as it shows no sign of being sanded.
The experiment is on a Ruger before I do the 31 and I would prefer it looked as close to original Rem. finish as possible but anything is an improvement over whats on it now.
I did an 1903 Win.years ago with straight linseed oil that looked really nice as it brought out the grain but very time consuming and not original looking at all.
Should I seal the pores first and if so with what.
Thanks;ST
LongRanger
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 am  Reply with quote

What brand of finish are you planning to use? I would think that a factory Remington finish would be built up a little more than a classic oil finish. Perhaps someone with an original condition 31 could offer some help. The need to fill pores would be dependent on how open the wood is and what kind of finish you plan to use. I'm headed in the same direction you are, getting ready to refinish a very early 870 to give to a nephew and am practicing on an extra stock I have handy.

16 Gauge Model 12, 30" Modified, circa 1937
16 Gauge Model 12, 26" Modified, circa 1940
16 Gauge Model 12, 26" Full, circa 1924
16 Gauge Model 1200, 26" IC, 28" Mod VR, circa 1966
Browning Sweet 16, 28" Modified VR, circa 1957
spr310
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Here's how I do it. I'm just refinishing a new sixteen gauge BPS. Finishing it to match my old twelve gauge BPS. I stripped it. Then sanded with 320 grit paper to knock off any fuzz. Then finished with 400 grit paper.
Then I found a piece of walnut that matches the stock. Then mixed up some stain and tried it on the scrap piece untill I found it matched what I wanted. I then stained the stock and forearm. After a couple of days I then went over it with 0000 steel wool. Then cleaned of all traces of the steel wool. Then I mixed up 2/3 tru-oil with 1/3 naptha. I am now spraying the parts with my airbrush. They are hanging in my shop. Every other coat I smooth with 0000 steel wool making sure all traces of the steel wool are gone befor spraying again. If you don't want the finish glossy you can knock it down when it dries. I did this for a living in houses for years. A lot of staining and finishing. Take your time and it will turn out fine.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a befor and after refinishing.
[img]
This is one of the new BPS 16's[/img]