16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Stevens 520 Info
HuntNshoot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know anything about the manufature dates of the Browning-designed Stevens 520? I have an early 16 gauge with the safety inside the triggerguard (in front of the trigger--Garand-like). I also have a 520 in 20 gauge with a crossbolt-type saftey. I'm also wondering if it is a 2 9/16-inch chamber. I've slide a small metal ruler in the chamber but can't feel even the suggestion of a lip, so I don't know if it is 65 or 70mm. I read somewhere that most guns weren't standardised at 2 3/4 until just before WWII. Any help or info appreciated. Good hunting and good luck.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

I do not know anything about the information listed below other then the man is a Stevens Historian. He may be helpful or not. I picked up the information on a yahoo search.

Contact Info for Savage / Stevens historian,

John Callahan
53 Quarry Road
Westfield, MA. 01085

(413) 568-2084 / 6 - 8 PM EST only

Good luck
16crazy
HuntNshoot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:50 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks. I'll drop him a line. Good hunting and good luck.
rayb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:57 pm  Reply with quote

if you find out anything, to include the usefulness of the historian, please post.

I have a Stevens manufactured 16 labeled for Montgomery Ward (or was it Sears?) anyway one of them, as well as a 12 gage.

It would be interesting to compare dates.

Mine must be later manufacture as the safeties are apparently of the newer type.

thanks and good luck

rayb

HuntNshoot
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ray, I think the earliest models had the in-trigger safety. I believe early Remington Model 11's had them also--aparently a common Browning design feature. Stevens later took out the "double hump" and made a squarebacked reciever, calling it the 520A. On these guns, the safety is on the tang. I have one in 12 gauge. Later still, Stevens streamlined the reciever and called it the 620. I think all the barrels interchange (within gauge of course). I bought an extral plain barrel for my 520A at a gun show and it fit, after a bit of stoning. I think these are great guns and enjoy shooting them, however, my 16 gauge has a drop at the heel of over three inches and kicks like two mules, even with 1 ounce loads. I'll let you know if I hear from him. Good hunting and good luck.
HuntNshoot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Ray, I spoke on the phone with John Callahan this evening. He didn't have much information I didn't already know. Apparently, the archives he has access to are not at his home. He's a super nice guy though. He did tell me they took the double hump out of the reciever (making it the 520A) in the mid-thirties. Good hunting and good luck.

BTW, I have seen a history of Stevens firearms at one time, but I seem to remember it being more than I wanted to pay.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Ranger Model 30

Gents,
Just picked one of these up at a local gunshop in 16ga. From what I can gather it's the Stevens 520A built for Sears. Engraved man on a horse lh side of receiver. Browning designed with the interesting 'toothed' barrel/receiver engagement. After some fiddling with the magazine tube, I found that pulling the trigger released the forearm slide and the barrel mag tube and forearm drop out. No indication of shell length, haven't measured yet, but I'm guessing it could be short. 28" full choke barrel. Amazing condition, an honest 95% with all bluing intact other than some minor fade on the tang. Checkering a tad worn on the round forearm and on the pistol grip of the stock, original buttplate.
Cheers,
R*2

Last edited by Rrusse11 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Great, hope you enjoy shooting it very much. I need to get my 16 ga out and exercise it a little. The 12 ga with the Weaver choke on the end stays behind the door in case i need to impress someone in the middle of the night.

At one time there were some bbls available from Courson (??) i think it was. I googled shotgun barrels and found his site.

Enjoy

rayb

311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Have my dad's old Western Field Delux Model 50, (Stevens model 620 sold by Wards). 1929 vintage. Was his only shotgun from, 1930 through the '60s, harvested many many duck, a few grouse and one deer.

Easy and proper way to remove the barrel is to release the bolt and rack action open, unscrew the magazine tube, so that the magazine collar is free of the notches at front of the reciever, press down on the top of the barrel moving it down about 1/4 inch, then giggle the slide and pull it forward, the action bar should release from the breech bolt and clear the receiver. Can then further press the barrel down and clear of the receiver. Reverse to assemble, just be certain that the barrel is not fully pressed all the way up when mating the slide bar to the breech bolt ( insert the barrel into the receiver just enough to allow the slide to enter the receiver then engage the bolt).

I've got lots of ducks, a few grouse and take it out every year of two for old times sake. Its still got a generation or two use left in it.

Basicly a model 520 streamlined and with a few minor parts 'improved'.