16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 on a Gobbler?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Yeppiiiieee yahooo whooooowwweee :

The United States Air Force and the United States Army to the rescue .

Now we will show those Turkey's around here overkill , the Air Force has agreed to a Straifing run on the way to FT. Wood for live fire practice , all we in the area have to do is call to the pilot give corrdinates and WA-LA TURKEY SUPRISE , if that doesnt do it the Army is so kind and considerate to lay down a hail of 105's from the Post .

Folks we should really think on this one !!!!!!!

I had a Math Teacher by the name of Pryor Ray Pruitt that hunts with a .410 and for the last 45+ years has taken just a few turkey's , like missing getting a bird perhaps 2 years out of the last 45 and that was due to Pnuemonia a couple of times . Mr. Pruitt said that it was all he needed to kill a bird , he shot less than 30 yards and shot 7.5's go figgure .

No Turkey that ever lived cannot be killed with Handicap loads of 7.5's at 35 yards or less . This seems to be a magical yardage that things start falling apart , look at the Trapshooting sector at 16 yard targets it is called Singles when you shoot them , the typical target is broken in the vacinity of 32-34 yards .

Nearly everyone can learn to shoot Singles somewhat , then we go to Handicap targets 17-27 yards this is where folks start to fall off on skill level , Chokes , Loads , ect.

An IC choke will break 16 yard targets well enough but it falls off pretty quick when we back up , even an IC will Kill all the Turkey's you want to put the bead on at 30 yards and under but not much further , the Mod choke will take you to the 35 yard mark but start falling off a little further back on ( remember we are talking a stationary target) Paper . The Full choke is a solid performer ( SOME OF THE TIME , SHOOT YOUR GUN ON PAPER ) at 40 yards EACH BARREL AND LOAD REACTS DIFFERENTLY .

I am a MEAT HUNTER ONLY !!!! I EAT WHAT I SHOOT AND I could care less about THE SPORT HUNTING , When I post something take notice that I say it like it is .

I do not say things such as ( IT SHOULD WORK ) OR ( MAYBE IT MIGHT WORK) .

The tally of my birds stands at a limit EACH YEAR , FALL AND SPRING for 38 years also I have taken with Stick and String 17 Gobblers and 10 Hens to date majority with out the aid of decoy or blind .

I PULL STUNTS once in a while when people say it cannot be done , I pulled off 4 Gobblers with #9 Skeet loads at or under 30 yards to see if it could be done , the folks lost the bet that said it couldn't be done .

( I would NOT ADVISE THIS AT ALL the #9 Skeet loads are TOO SLOW it addeled the 2 birds at the 30 yard range but stoned the ones at 20 and under , I will take some of the loads in # 9's @ 1400 FPS this spring that Bill Hanus wants ( the ones we were going to take to the Dakots's for testing on the Pheasants ) and shoot a bird at or under 35 yards just for testing , AND YES I KNOW I CAN KILL THE BIRD .

I looked up the average distance that I have taken birds over the years and that range is 16 YARDS I have had them so close that you had to spook them in order to hit em , had them stand on my hat brim one time , hows that for close ????

If you call up Mike Krueger and ask him about that one , also ask him about the Blond Coyote that we watched catch 3 Gobblers in 3 conceutive mornings and how on the 4rth morning I managed to Kill that Coyote at 48 steps with 2 loads of 7.5's first one sent him squalling in a circle and the second put him down for good . Could have use the 105's that morning but the gunners must have been asleep on the job .

Call up Chad Stamm and ask what shells he got converted to ???? Mike will tell you just a few tales , ask the ole boy that hauled out my last Elk in Colorado , he came to Missouri to hunt with me ( I even made him a Cow Horn Call , I just don't do this for just anyone ) His name is Larry Gan , just ask him about the shells , hunt and his hunts a few days latter in Wyoming , he came to learn to kill Turkey's and was very sucessful after a few lessons ( fair exchange he taught me about calling the Elk ).

Folks I grew up on the farm I still reside on . We have a thousand acre place with lots of Turkey's and Deer on it ( used to be lots of quail but no more only 3 small covey on the whole place ) .

I guided for many years , mainly folks from Ill. I would Guarantee a bird or no pay I took on the average 10 folks a season and it was very few and far between that I didnt get paid , these folks I would take on Public land
with the stipulation that they shoot what I specified ( I hate crippled birds ) some didnt want to use what I said , so they went elsewhere .

I showed lots of folks how to hunt the call shy birds everyone else was fooling with but could not kill , ( I learned from my Uncle how to call birds away from others and it grew to be fun for me being able to do this , I rarely do this now days , back in the old days you had 25 hunters for every Gobbler , now days you have 25 Gobblers for every hunter , so I leave other folks alone , no need to now days but back in the old days I used to find great pleasure in going in to an area that I knew the folks hunting and call the bird away from them , shoot it and then show them the bird.

I hunt the Turkey for one reason and one reason only ( I EAT THEM ) I eat only what I shoot , ( I eat no Beef although we raise a good number of them , and VERY little Pork , I know what we put in them , no thanks )

Folks have found it VERY POOR ODDS when betting me Coffee and Doughnuts when it comes to Turkey Hunting .

Confine your shots under 35 yards , Forget about shooting BRUSH I dont eat BRUSH I eat the birds . Pattern your gun for point of impact and go kill your bird .

When sent off for testing almost all the barrels of old and new are made of either 1040 or 1045 series steel . Go figgure .

Enough said .

Regards Charles
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Nice photo's guy's I envey you with those early seasons. Very nice.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 am  Reply with quote

No way Charles. Turkeys can only be killed with an A-10 warthog firing uranium depleted rounds from 100 feet. Anything less is a disservice to the bird!

Sheesh.
JonP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
No way Charles. Turkeys can only be killed with an A-10 warthog firing uranium depleted rounds from 100 feet. Anything less is a disservice to the bird!

That's what those guys are doing up to Fort Drum Laughing Laughing
rudyc
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Saw this fella while working last week, took the picture at 20 yards, with any luck we will meet up again in April.

booneh
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:51 pm  Reply with quote

well back from turkey hunting and yes a 16 will kill turkeys. my hunting buddy got the first one at 13 yds mine was at 18 yds. 1 1/8 oz. #6. both drt. had a great time. wife still has a tag think we will try to get her a bird localy later.

booneh
popplecop
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Last Wed. My 13 yr. old grandson killed his first tom with a 16 ga. Firearm was a Biakal O/U with a turkey choke from True Choke and Federal No. 6s 1.25 oz. I believe. Tom weighed 23 lbs., 10.5" beard and spurs were 1&1/8's long. He's a lefty so shoots O/Us and SxSs.