16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  stevens 620 info????
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

While owning SEVEN 16 gauge guns already I do not have a 16 ga pump so have been on the lookout for one lately (like you all I am always looking for another gun to have just in case Wink ).

Yes, I know about Winchester Model 12s (and if the price was right I might buy one).

However, I am intrigued by the Stevens 620 - especially the takedown aspect of this gun. I have seen several of these on-line lately and they look like a respectable firearm and the price doesn't seem too bad. I probably won't shoot it much and I know it is not a collector by any sense of the word - I just think it would be neat to own one.

What is your feeling about the Stevens 620?

Any idea of worth?

Any of you own one? and hate it? like it?

What are the standard stock dimensions?

thanks for any and all comments.....

Dr. 16 Gauge
HuntNshoot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

These are great guns. I'm not a Stevens historian, but I believe the 620 to be the last step in the evolutionary life of the 520--see my post on the General forum. They have a solid "machined" feel and all three of my 520's have a slick action. They are all stocked with walnut (in my experience), some looking somewhat utilitarian and some with really nice looking wood. They were often marketed by Wards as "Riverside" and later as "Western Field". The 520 was sold by Sears as the "Ranger", though I'm not certain Sears sold the 620. Good hunting and good luck.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have my dads 620 16ga., it's a nice quality shotgun. The only reason I don't shoot it more is it's on the heavy side. While there is some collector's interest in the 520 there is almost none with the 620. I have seen 620 offered for under $200 with no taker, on Gunbroker. When my local gun shop gets a 620 in trade they chop the barrel to 18" and sell it as a home defense gun. My 620 has nice wood much nicer then what you see on working guns today.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Matt:

There is a Stevens 620-A with solid rib 28 inch barrel for $150 on gunbroker.com right now - why I was asking Wink

I thought it looked cool in the take-down mode - don't know what I would use it for, but it does look cool. I already shoot trap with a new remington 1100 in 16 ga (also very heavy- approx. 9 lbs, but good for trap)

Besides my Mother-in-Law gave me $100 to buy what I want for Christmas - I could use it for this Twisted Evil

How is that 16 ga 26 inch Citori you bought on gunbroker working out? I got the 28 inch at the same time. I really like mine. I have shot some skeet with it and plan to field test it in January in Kansas - will drive right past you in KCity on the way out.

Dr. 16 Gauge
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well my Citori is great I've only had it hunting once, because my wife killed the fwd on my Trooper. Don't let your wife borrow your hunting truck to go xmas shopping in the snow. Also make sure she doesn't hang her purse on the fwd high low range shifter. I'm hoping to get the Citori out for some more shooting before the 4th. of January. I'm getting a double spinal fusion and they tell me I won't be hunting or shooting for a while. The good side is if all goes well I'll be able to drive to KS for pheasant hunting next year and be able to hunt for more then a hour or two. Before my surgery I'm going on a preserve pheasant hunt and I'm taking the Citori and the 620. My dad will get a kick out of me getting a pheasant with his old gun. The last pheasant it hit was in 1960 near Medford Oregon.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Hey Matt:

Sold my 4wd when I left Ithaca NY - don't need it here. Too many other nuts on the road with 4wd who don't realize that it doesn't help you stop. I just stay home now until the roads are clear (perks of the job Wink ).

My Dakota has never been driven by the boss - her choice. She likes the neon and all are happy.

Where is the preserve and how much are the birds - curious to compare with what we have around here and with what I am doing in January in Russell KS.

If you have seen my posts about Dads Old Gun - I am going to take My Dad's FOX Model B 16 ga in January and try to shoot at least one pheasant with it. Even though it has opened chokes, pointing labs keep some birds close.

Good luck with the back surgery....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Bustingclays:

Man I'd love to go with you to KS but I don't think I could shoot that good on a morphine drip, maybe next year. The preserve I'll be going to is Harding's it about 90 north of Kansas City which is about as far as I can drive. During the week its' 10 pheasant for $100 and on the weekend 12 bird's for $150. The closer to the city the price goes up and the hunting area is smaller. Also at Harding 2 hunters can hunt the ten birds the others would charge per hunter. I just want to get my French Britt pup on some birds before I'm laid up for several months.

I have to have a 4wd to get to my hunting and fishing spots in the Ozarks. I got tired of getting my 2wd stuck and after every trip I had to get the front-end realigned. When I lived in central Ill. back in the 70's I loved those guys in 4wd. Every time my VW Bug got blown into a ditch a farmer in a big 4wd would come along and winch me out. I always offered to pay for their time and not one took a penny. Unlike Ill. where I live in Kansas City it's hilly and many times I couldn't get home with 2wd. Also being in law enforcement I couldn't take a snow-day.
locksley
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

I have seen 620 offered for under $200 with no taker, on Gunbroker. When my local gun shop gets a 620 in trade they chop the barrel to 18" and sell it as a home defense gun.
Mattkcc

What a wast of a good machine made gun. To chop the barrels is a crime for a potentially great SXS gun. It can never be a hand made English best gun but in the right hands it could have been a gun for a young 16 guage member to start out with. I have several Stevens guns and they all shoot Quail and Doves very well for me as long as I do my part. The 16 guage was my first gun as I learned to hunt with an old 16 guage Browning that my fathers neighboor inherited from his father in law back in 1963. I still use the old Stevens 16 guage for dove hunting on the days the doves are really flying high and fast as the weight helps my swing on the birds.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

The 620 is a pump gun, if it was a double there would be demand for them. There is some interest in the earlier 520.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
Gentlemen:

While owning SEVEN 16 gauge guns already I do not have a 16 ga pump so have been on the lookout for one lately (like you all I am always looking for another gun to have just in case Wink ).

Yes, I know about Winchester Model 12s (and if the price was right I might buy one).

However, I am intrigued by the Stevens 620 - especially the takedown aspect of this gun. I have seen several of these on-line lately and they look like a respectable firearm and the price doesn't seem too bad. I probably won't shoot it much and I know it is not a collector by any sense of the word - I just think it would be neat to own one.

What is your feeling about the Stevens 620?

I was looking at the Stevens 620's when like you I was in the market for a 16ga pump. I ended up getting a Ithaca Model 37 because although I liked the takedown aspect of the Stevens, I did not like the weight for a 16. The Ithaca M37 was considerably less weight and balanced really well.

Good luck.

Brad