16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New 16 Gauge Ammo
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Hello, I do understand the need for fast steel loads when shooting longer distances. But I also like some steel loads at 1250 to 1300 FPS. Now for why. I have a great place to hunt ducks, good blinds, good decoys and am a good caller. Most of the time we use skeet choked guns and the slow ammo with #3 shot. Most of the shots are within 30 yards, and the leads are like skeet shooting which also uses ammo with 1250 to 1300 FPS. In the last 6 years of so we have not lost one bird to crippling. Surely these loads are not as effective as lead and not as powerful as fast steel, but they suit my present needs. Also they are very easy on the shoulder. Enjoy the day, Mike
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

I hate steel shot. We need an alternative to the high cost of non-toxic alloys. I agree lead will be banned.
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

I agree skeettx!
I am a long time user of non toxic shot for ducks but the price increase and the amount I shoot has pushed me to steel. When you make the proper conversion (pellet size) and choke constriction they work just as well as any non toxic load. The problem I am seeing out there is people are shooting steel loads way too fast and are using way to much choke. 1300 fps is plenty and I prefer #2's. I like #1's for big late season divers. I use to hate steel but the manufacturers have done a good job producing a shotshell that works all you have to do is go down two pellet sizes and open your choke one more. Pretty simple. Oh don't forget to pattern because we all know certain load/choke/gun combinations work better than others. peace.ted