16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  NE Ohio Relocation
chopper
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in the process of relocating to NE Ohio - Twinsburg, OH to be specific. Any 16'ers in this area that can provide a little guidance on places to shoot, hunt, and any dog or hunting rules that I might not be expecting?

Brad
RWG
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

chopper wrote:
I'm in the process of relocating to NE Ohio - Twinsburg, OH to be specific. Any 16'ers in this area that can provide a little guidance on places to shoot, hunt, and any dog or hunting rules that I might not be expecting?

Brad

Brad:

Sure thing. You will join Greenville. Its a drive, but the club is worth it. There are dog clubs, other shooting clubs and plenty of public hunting, but you will travel for most wild game than deer or waterfowl.

When you moving to twinsburg? You'll have a Gander Mountain in your town, if that's any consolation.

Will you be here by June 8th?

[/code]
Grousen
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome to the area. I'm only about 15 miles n/w of you. When you get in to town let me know and I'll take you out to Greenville. There are some really nice guys shooting out there, and though it's a drive, it offers very affordable rates in a very nice setting.

I'm sure the reason Russ, RWG, asked if you will be here by June 8th is because that is the day of the Vintage Shoot at Greenville. Check out:
www.greenvillesportsmen.com
for all the details about the shoot, as well as other info about the club. I'll look forward to seeing you out there.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:15 am  Reply with quote

We aren't much on hunting, but we also run some 16 gauge clay shooting events in the Columbus area.

chopper
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

I am in Solon, OH right now in a hotel. Will be in the middle of moving the weekend of June 8th and through the following week. I appreciate the invite, regardless.

I would like to hook up in late June or early July. I imagine I'll have my hands full untill then. Thanks for the info and I look forward to meeting each of you.

Brad
Grousen
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

I was raised in Solon more than a few years ago, and the town has certainly changed alot. I live just east of Chagrin Falls, about four miles away from Solon.

Let us know when you are settled in and ready to visit Greenville. I'll be happy to introduce you to the guys and gals at the club.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:12 am  Reply with quote

Chopper: I'd like to give you an invite to come down to God;s Country for a grouse hunt. But you're about 25 years late. Sadly, the grouse are about all gone and my knees can't take the rugged terrain any more, so I'll just say welcome to the Buckeye State.. You'll have to learn to yell "Go Bucks" .. MDC
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well I will be darned. I didn't know you guys lived around here. I live about 20 minuites from Greenville. I usually shoot at Western Reserve out side of Mercer.
Ben
jrothWA
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Left the state in 92and grouse was ok, what did the clowns do now???

I'm speaking of Ohio Power area.
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:44 pm  Reply with quote

Ben Yarian,

You ought to come out to Greenville Sportsmen's Club on Sunday, June 8th at 10:00AM for our annual vintage shoot. Check out the details on www.greenvillesportsmen.com.

Heck, if that date isn't any good for you, the club is open almost every Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday at 10:00AM. I live about 20 miles southeast of Cleveland, Ohio in the suburbs and drive 55 miles to Greenville because the guys are friendly and fun, and the club is very nice and inexpensively priced.

Hope to see you there sometime.
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:47 pm  Reply with quote

M D Christian,

I have hunted the Tappan Lake/ Clendenning Lake area since the mid 70's. You sure are right about the grouse. They were plentiful then, but quite rare nowadays. Still is a beautiful area for a walk in the woods though.

Go Bucks.
mdoerner
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

The LaDue reservoir area (North on I-271 till you get to State Route-422 West, about 1/2 hour from Twinsburg [At the intersection of SR422 and SR44]) has some hunting available as well. Mostly waterfowl, with some squirrel, deer, turkey, and rabbit as well. It's not on the ODNR web site, you have to call the division 3 headquartes for an old map. They used to charge $25 additional to the hunting permit when it was managed by the City of Akron, but now ODNR manages it and considered public land. Free to hunt for Ohio Hunting license holders. Let me know if you'd like more info.

Mike Doerner
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

Grousen, thanks for the invite. I will have to come out. Maybee give the vintage shoot a try. I am not very good at low gun though.
Ben