16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  WD-40?
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Several posters noted using products with silicone....keep them away freom any gun with good wood. Once the silicone gets into the wood it makes it darned near impossible to get a good finish on the wood again.

Keep it real, rage against silicone.

Jeff
jrothWA
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

LPS #2 spray lube for all firearms.

Use the WD-40 for solvent work / soaking of assemblies.

Let drip dry then shake out remiander. use LPS or good Hoppe's gun oil.

Agree with no Silicone!
RedWing
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:37 am  Reply with quote

Jeff Mulliken wrote:
Several posters noted using products with silicone....keep them away freom any gun with good wood. Once the silicone gets into the wood it makes it darned near impossible to get a good finish on the wood again.

Keep it real, rage against silicone.

Jeff

Would this also apply to the Silicone wipe towels? I've been using them for a while now to prevent rust on the barrels. I also wipe the stock down with it too. Is this a bad decision??

Don
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Use WD-40 as a moisture displacement agent, bore cleaner, and degeaser/finger print remover. Do not use it as a long term lubricant on break open guns, bolt actions, single shots, etc. where a good lithium grease and a drop or two of gun oil work far better on metal to metal bearing surfaces.

It can be used as a winter weather lubricant in autoloaders and pumps if used sparcely. a light quick spritz into the ejection port is all that is needed. If it is sprayed on heavily, wipe it out or blow it out to remove any excess.

Keep a rag sprayed down with WD-40 in a plastic bag. Use the rag to wipe a gun down externally at days end to remove finger acids and other corrosive elements from hot blued guns. do not use it on rust blued guns that have been done with traditional techniques or on cold blued surfaces. It will remove the finish. Some case hardened finishes that have oxidized a bit can also be dulled by WD-40.

During hot humid weather, wipe out your gun bores and chambers as well with a WD-40 soaked patch over a bore swab before casing the gun for the trip home. It will prevent the stained bores and chambers that can happen so quickly in the hot monthes.

Like any other item, use it wisely and you will be well off. Use it wrong and you will pay the price.
carpe dm
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Samuel_Hoggson wrote:
I have used WD for years. WD is great for cleaning bores. It takes plastic and powder fouling out just about as well as anything else. It's inexpensive.
WD is fair to good as a preservative. Brownell's website used to have an article about this. Having read everything I can find on the subject I've concluded that it is no worse than "OK" as a short term preservative. It's not cosmoline, right? And it's inexpensive (did I mention that?).
WD is a very poor lubricant. The volatile elements go quickly, and the rest is pretty well devoid of lubricating properties. Worse, IME it tends to interact poorly with other lubricants.
WD is great for water displacement, of course.
If you want one product to clean, lubricate, and preserve Breakfree CLP is probably your best bang for buck.
Sam

Right on Target!

JonP
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 am  Reply with quote

What is Ballistol good for? Some people sure hype the stuff.
carpe dm
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:05 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
What is Ballistol good for? Some people sure hype the stuff.

It is an excellent bore cleaner / lube / preservative. It is also good on wood, so it can be used on the entire gun. Great stuff; BUT it smells like my old gym socks.......... I clean my bores (both rifle and shotgun) as best I can with Ed's Red or WD-40, and then run a patch through with Ballistol, and get more "black" every time!

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

What's the consensus on Prolix. i have read great reviews as an all in one gun agent but I'm skeptical. Chuck Hawks likes the stuff and he seems to know what he's talking about. What's the groups view?