16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  1925 L.C. Smith Specialty 16g
JGH
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 am  Reply with quote

New to posting here and thought I would share a picture of my favorite 16g that I own.

28" tubes Imp/Full

I am so fortunate to have found this one still in high original condition. It does not see action like my 16g Field...but guns were made to shoot after all.

I am a dedicated L.C. Smith addict. I sold all my "off" brands to focus on just Smiths! Call me crazy, but I am enjoying it. Glad to be on board here finally and will soon be joining the Society as well as the low pressure reloader's group.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

I doubt I've ever seen an Elsie from that era in such fine original condition.
Beautiful.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Nice LC I have a few myself yours is really nice except someone stole one of your triggers.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm  Reply with quote

A nice Smith indeed, but take care of that SST trigger, there's nothing better when they're working and nothing worse when they're not... MDC
JGH
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

I personally prefer to shoot with 2 triggers. You said it right when you say SST are great when they are working...horrible when they are not.

I am having trouble finding a good smith to work on SST's anymore. Buck Hamlin won't work on them anymore and he is my local go to guy.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Beautiful Elsie.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Great looking gun. Welcome!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
DDawg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

How many pair of white cotton gloves do you put on before you handle it? That is one nice LC. Thanks for the post.
Norm
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Nice Specialty.

Revdocdrew (rolodex king) can supply some names of folks who work on Hunter One Triggers. I THINK Dewey Vicknair and a guy in Wheeling,WV (Jerry Andrews?) do work on them. Post a question on the LC SMith board, and you'll probably get some leads.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:44 am  Reply with quote

JGH, welcome from another Smith fan! I'm in the process of restoring a field grade Smith 16 that will be my go to hunting gun. It's not as nice as yours yet!

Wherabouts in MO are you? Please share some of your stories with us about collecting and shooting " Sweet Elsie". Laughing

JGH
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:50 am  Reply with quote

Well I must be honest and say that the 16g Specialty that I posted above does not get out all that much. Now my 16g Field gets regular use...going to get ALOT more use this fall. I shoot it and my 12g Field the most of my Elsie's.

I am in the St. Louis area and I just can't get enough of these wonderful Smiths. It really is an addiciton. I am fairly young to be such a double gun nut (33), but I can't help that. I have always been attracted to SxS's and soon as I was capable of buying them for myself, it started. I bought any gun that appealed to me. As I mentioned earlier, I sold all my non L.C. Smith doubles off to upgrade my collection of Smiths with some high condition high grade pieces I was fortunate enough to find.

I wish I had a few of those back now though! In particular I miss my pristine Model 24 16g...that was a fun gun to shoot. But alas...I am glad I did what I did and no turning back.

There is nothing better (for me) than shooting one of these Smiths. They are a pure joy and a pleasure to own and shoot.

I am in the construction trade and as many of you know...times are slow in that trade now. So between work and some down time, I am getting in alot of shooting lately. Today I am going to Cedar Creek Rod and Gun Club by Columbia to meet the owner and shoot some Trap with my Crown Grade Trap SxS. We are meeting to view his facility as it's one of the clubs I am considering using for our big SxS shoot next year. It will be named the Show-Me-Shootout.

I am always on the hunt for more Smiths...but can't always afford what I find! Recently I looked over a 16g Crown grade, but for it's condition, it was not worth the asking price so I had to walk away from that rare bird.

Todays shoot will be with my Crown as I stated, but my partners will be shooting their BP Muzzle Loaders! They are getting ready for a National Competition with them. I will take some pictures and post them later if people are interested. Not always 16g related so I am not sure of the policy about posting such things? Glad to be a part of this group. Will be back later today...off to shoot.