16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Remington Model 31
kremerd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

Are these available in 16 and if so approx. price in ic o r mod with vr
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:16 am  Reply with quote

Yes in 16. Most that I see on the net go $350 and up with VR in 16. Mostly up. Smile
Bill Layman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Factory vent ribs on a small gauge 31's (16 or 20 gauge) are extremely rare and priced accordingly. You are much more likely to find a solid rib gun which will represent less than 10% of the guns you see for sale. I would expect a solid rib 90% and above "A" grade gun (grooved foreend-uncheckered buttstock) to go for $400 to $600 and a "B" grade gun (small checkered foreend-checkered buttstock) for $500 to $800. The above assumes the receiver and barrel serial numbers match. Features that might add to the price would be short open choked barrel and the pre-war configuration (short trigger guard). The above prices are those I would expect to see on Auction Arms or Gunbroker.

Bill Layman
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

They are one of the best kept secrets of the wingshooting world. I would like to find one as well. I handled one- unfortunately- with a barrel that had a decidedly right hand bend. The quest continues.......

grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

What's the deal with the "small trigger guard" or "short trigger guard" you hear mentioned once in a while? Is there some advantage or disadvantage to one size or the other? I've often wondered, as it seems to bear noting and possibly effect the value when you see these advertised.

I've never heard a bad word about these from anybody who has owned one. I passed on a couple and kinda wish I'd have snapped them up. One was a 26" plain barrel factory skeet choke with the proper matching serial numbers (but a 20 ga.). You don't see to many of those. It was reasonable too. Might grab some version someday. Shot a 16 ga. for just a station or two at skeet once, but liked my model 12 better. I am intrigued by the history, design and workmanship on these though.
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 pm  Reply with quote

I'd love to score an awesome 31 in 16.

in '97 I scored a awesome 12ga 31T. 4 digit SN (1st year) Wood like you wouldn't believe Smile 30" VR full choke (T stands for trap). Action that is butter smooth. Even then I felt like I stole it when I paid $375

What is it they say about even a blind dog???

Best to all Very Happy

popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:02 am  Reply with quote

First of all if you can find a Md. 31 standard or lightweight with any style of barrel for less than $350, buy it. I picked up an alloy receiver one in 16 last year for $300 with a plain 28" FC barrel. A member of this board steered me on to it (thanks again Ted). It is the only pump shotgun I own. As far as trigger guard size goes, I must have a large one as I used it on a late December pheasant hunt with insulated gloves. And I've got fat fingers.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:22 am  Reply with quote

The Remington Model 31 replaced both the Remington 17 and the 29 in their lineup. I think the model 10 had already been discontinued, but I can't remember that for sure. All of these previous guns were bottom loaders and were all very similar to the Ithaca Model 37.

Remington basically redesigned the model 17 and expanded the line to to include the 16 and the 12 as well as the 20 gauge. The biggest modification is the side loading port. This was done to allow the rapidly growing ranks of target shooters to more easily load and unload their guns while on the firing line.

I shoot a Model 37 for skeet. I have to load two shells while on the station instead of one at a time. Otherwise, it becomes a bit cumbersome. However, skeet rules have been changed over the years to allow for this. Years ago, you could load two shells only for doubles targets. So the 31 had its advantages back then.

For a hunting gun, I don't think the difference is all that important. In fact, I prefer a model 37 (and the BPS), because it does not have a side port. I can carry my gun with the bolt back and not risk dropping shells out of the reciever. Its the safest way to carry a repeater other than unloaded IMO.

Both the 31 and the 37 are about equally smooth to pump. Once broken in, both will shuck and load like they are running on glass. you pays your money and you takes your pick. I would not turn my nose up at either one. They are both really good guns.
Bill Layman
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Top - 31B - 12 gauge Banded Plain Barrel - 1931 Design Trigger Plate - Short Trigger Guard

Middle - 31H (Hunter Special) - 12 gauge Solid Rib -1934 Design Trigger Plate - Short Trigger Guard

Bottom - 31A - 12 gauge Solid Rib - 1941 Design Trigger Plate - Long Trigger Guard

You will sometimes hear the early style short trigger guard guns referred to as having a "Pull Trigger" and the later long trigger guard guns as having a "Lift Trigger".

Bill Layman
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Search.asp#110470

Jaquas has 3 model 31's in 16 gauge. One has the alloy receiver.

chilly460
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I received my M31 16ga today. Solid rib, Improved Mod 28" gun. Gun is original finish, and I believe the imp mod stamping is factory, can't say I've seen another factory IMP MOD gun from this era. Gun is a '34 manufacture. Definitely a neat old gun, although seller misrepresented condition, it has a bit more "patina" then I anticipated, but is fine functionally. I also have a M31L 20ga that is a fun gun, but stout in the recoil department.
ron
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

The Remington Model 31 has often been refered to as the ball bearing shotgun,due to it's smooth,slick pumpimg action. It was basically a hand made & fitted action. I own a Remington model 10 they were made from 1908 thru 1927. As stated the model 10,17 & 29 were bottom feed & ejection. Their is a very good article on the Remington Model 31 in the Sept 2007 issue of Shotgun Sports. Mr Vic Reinders won the national doubles at Vandalia (99x100) shucking a Model 31. They were made in12,16 & 20 ga. The Model 31 was discontinued in 1949. Listed Models were B,D.E,F,R & TC.

ron