16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upland Journal
bhs61
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea why Upland Journal is off line? I tried to log on and there is a rather cryptic message as to why it has been shut down.
RedWing
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

I can't tell you why it's shut down, but it appears some people have been misbehaving. I haven't been there in months. I stopped visiting because of the heavy handed moderator. He likes to play the Heavy Handed Sheriff role too much. He has his own definition of the first amendment.

In discussion boards, there will always be disagreements of some sort, but if handled properly, they work themselves out just fine. Even without the "Sheriff" sticking his nose into matters. IMHO, he ruins his own board.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:49 pm  Reply with quote

Guess I haven't kept up on the controversial stuff; I tend to avoid that crap. But I will say that the Upland Journal board is one of the more civil boards and one of the most reasonably moderated. If it's shut down due to shananigans I guarantee it's deserved. Too bad some folks don't know how to act.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Have to agree with you fin . As opinionated as we all want to be , sometimes there is no middle ground . UJ is a great site and the moderator does an ecceptional job over there . Sometimes it's necessary . There have been times on this site whan the moderator had to step in and justifiably so . You can let bickering go on for only so long , it gets personal , and I get sick of it . Make your point , argue it , and let it go !
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

Still closed this aft.
I go there quite often. Haven't seen any out of control threads. ???????
Kinda hard to avoid something if you don't know what's wrong. Unless maybe the parties in question were emailed. Who knows but I think it's a bit wrong to shut the whole place down when/if a couple of people got out of control.
You don't punish all your kids for one's mistake. Wink

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

According to my understanding is was another political pissing match. All the more reason to keep them off the sporting boards. It's back up now, I understand.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I don't usually read those. Probably why I didn't see a thread out of control. Laughing

IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

I looked earlier and it was offline at the time. I generally don't read the political stuff either! I can get enough of that in the mainline media!