16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  poli or dakota
toad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

want to buy a new 16, thinking about a Poli or Dakota. Plan on spending in the 4 to 5 thousand range. Any experiance with either of these, or thoughts on something else in this price range.
Paul Dwight
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:44 am  Reply with quote

I have been to the Dakota plant in Sturgis , SD. Very professional operation and the guns are beautiful. I shot a Dokota SXS about 5 years ago on a pheasant hunt with the owner of Dakota Arms. He is now deceased. He provided me with the gun. It was a 12 ga, I shot it OK for a borrowed gun. It worked just like it was supposed to with no problems. I like the fact that Dakota guns are made by an American company that you could pick up the phone and get in touch with if need be. You can also get personalized custom work done by them.
Paul
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:14 am  Reply with quote

The Dakota you'd buy for $4-5,000 (assuming you're talking the Superlight here) is not made by an American company. It's made by an Italian outfit called SIACE. They make decent enough guns, but having owned a Poli 16 and shot it for a season (with some regrets about having sold it) and having field tested a SIACE sxs (although not the Dakota version), I'd recommend the Poli.
RWG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
The Dakota you'd buy for $4-5,000 (assuming you're talking the Superlight here) is not made by an American company. It's made by an Italian outfit called SIACE. They make decent enough guns, but having owned a Poli 16 and shot it for a season (with some regrets about having sold it) and having field tested a SIACE sxs (although not the Dakota version), I'd recommend the Poli.

I've seen Larry's Poli and handled it. A very nicely made gun with a nice piece of wood. Larry--I warned you. Seller's remorse is finely setting in I see. At least you know the owner. Maybe you can get on his will. Wink Russ