16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Help finding a company name
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Some time ago someone posted about a canvas & leather shooting/gear bag they got. I ordered something from that company but sent it back - good quality, just not quite what I was looking for. I'm in the market for something else and I can't remember the company! Somewhere up north - Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin I think. Can anybody help? At least I THINK it was on here Embarassed !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
WPGriffon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:46 am  Reply with quote

I don't know if this is who you are looking for but check Duluth Tent & Awning. They sell alot of canvas products.
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

Duluth Pack www.duluthpack.com is another of the canvas/leather bag companies. They have always been good to me.

Ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
robp
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

that would'nt have been JW Hume www.JWHulmeCo.com Fine leather and canvas bags. Great designs; built to last, guarantied!

Not that this has anything to do with this or anything else but last fall I was hunting with a guy from work and he brought a friend of this along. I notice this guys' gokey boots- He said he made them and had them since the 70s. We started chatting he worked at gokey late 60s thru the until they moved from St Paul.
He was a marine in vietnam and when he got back hee was pissed off at the us goverment and everybody else lots of drink and drugs. Eventually he needed a job so he went to work for gokey there he noticed the expert leather smiths all had numbers tattooed on thier forearm -yep all jews from concentation camps who saved themselves by making boots for the ss.He got to know those men and women learned their horror stories as well as their craft and kinda figured in the big picture he really didnt have it so bad, said it really changed his prespective and save his life
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

Off subject, but speaking of Gokey's. I have a gun case and a bag made ate Gokey's in the early 70's. A friend of mine was a salesman for them at the time. I also had a pair of boots that I finally wore out after 20 years. I had them resoled once. I still have the guncase and bag. I heard all of the stories of the emplyees at the time.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm on my second pair of Gokeys...the first ones are still serviceable after 6 years, but I went to a different size. They are expensive as hell, but the service is incomparable. I sent my first pair back for a stitching repair. They came back completely resoled....at no charge!!!

When I ordered my second pair, I was experiencing trouble getting a correct fit. They upgraded me to a custom-made-to-order pair, normally $50. more, at no extra charge.

Try and find that type of service anywhere else.
scorpion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

When someone brought up Gokey boots, it reminded me that I have in the attic, and still wear, my pair of Gokey custom boots that were made for me when I was 16--that was 50 years ago. They have been resoled once, and I keep them greased after every hard use outing. They're still waterproof, and I guess they are snakeproof, but that feature has never been tested by me. When I was 17 or 18, a friend of mine was on his dad's farm in S.C. and found a den of timber rattlers. He had a pair of Gokeys just like mine, and while he was wondering how good the boots were, a large rattler struck him on the toe of the boot and sprayed venom all over the front of the boot. Well, the boots did their job a advertised, but my friend did have to change his pants!

My boots do have scratches where they turned barbed wire, but they still fit very comfortably. After all these years though, those heavy boots give these old legs quite a workout. When I'm down in the brush in South Texas, though, I wear them and feel confident about stepping anywhere.

I found them on Orvis' website, and Gokey custom snake boots list for $475. Mine were $73 in 1958, and I had to work hard for 2 weeks to get them paid for. Smile

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

My good wife found it! Frost River. Some good stuff: gun cases, bags, etc.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook